Description of Historic Place
The William J. Scott House, located at 3332 Bleams Road, is situated on the northwest corner of Bleams and Nafziger Roads, in the Village of New Hamburg, now the Township of Wilmot. The property consists of a servant's house, a smokehouse, landscaped grounds, a pond and a one-and-a-half-storey stone residence, that was constructed in 1858.
The property was designated by the Township of Wilmot in 1986 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 86-17).
The William J. Scott House was constructed, in 1858, by William James Scott, for whom it is named. William James Scott was one of New Hamburg's most important citizens and a founding pioneer of the area. Scott arrived in the New Hamburg area, in 1838, from Aberdeen, Scotland and, over the course of 30 years, held many prominent positions within the village, township and province. These positions included; his appointment as Common School Commissioner, in 1843; first Postmaster, in 1851; Township Councillor, in 1851; first Village Planner; and Township Reeve, in 1853; and Member of Provincial Parliament, in 1858. Scott's most noteworthy accomplishment was his appointment to the House of Lords, the United Kingdom's upper house of Parliament, at which time the title of Lord Campfield was bestowed upon him.
The William J. Scott House is a fine example of stone Scottish Gothic architecture. Characteristic of the Scottish Gothic style, the façade of the residence displays two dominant side gables, which feature identical bays and small double attic windows, in the peaks. A smaller central gable and three Palladian windows divided by limestone mullions is situated below. The recessed central wall, situated between the two dominant gables, creates a modified H-plan, for the house. A central, two-sash, casement window framed by two blind bays is located on the first-storey, of the house, above which, is a partial bellcast overhang. The decorative bargeboard and lancet windows are also reflective of the Gothic style, and the double four panel arched door features sidelights and a lancet glazed transom. The appearance of this residence is very similar to that of the Waterlot, Scott's first residence, located at 17 Huron Street, which was designed with similar Scottish and metropolitan influences.
The William J. Scott House is situated atop a hill overlooking Bleams Road, which gives the residence a monumental presence. In addition, the property features two smaller buildings, behind the house, one which was used as a servant's quarters and the other as a smokehouse. Both buildings contribute to the rural feel of the estate. The small pond, situated to the front of the house and near the road, and the landscaped grounds, along with the residence, make the entire property a true jewel, within the rural landscape.
Sources: Township of Wilmot By-law 86-17; Historical Sketch, L.A.C.A.C., 1986.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the William J. Scott House include its:
- ashlar and rubble fieldstone construction
- modified H floor plan
- recessed centre wall
- two dominant side gables featuring identical bays
- small double attic windows in the peaks
- small central gable with pointed-arched bay
- gothic windows divided by limestone mullions within the small central gable
- three Palladian windows divided by limestone mullions on the façade
- two-sash casement windows on the first-storey façade
- partial bellcast overhang above the first-storey
- decorative bargeboard
- lancet windows
- double four-panel lancet arched door with sidelights and lancet glazed transom
- situation atop a hill overlooking the road
- location, scale and massing of the servant's house and smokehouse
- landscaped grounds, including the pond