Everett B. Jones Residence
186 Douglas Avenue, Saint John, New Brunswick, E2K, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Everett B. Jones Residence is a wooden two-storey Italianate residence with an off-centre entrance and an elaborate enclosed sun porch. It is located on Douglas Avenue within the Douglas Avenue Preservation Area of Saint John.
The Everett B. Jones Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its location and for its association with its former occupants.
The Everett B. Jones Residence is recognized as a part of the Douglas Avenue Preservation Area. Douglas Avenue Preservation Area was recognized as a protected historic streetscape because of its fine mixture of working class tenements along with more substantial homes of the middle and wealthy classes, many of which have long-standing family connections spanning multiple generations as a result of its community atmosphere. Douglas Avenue was built in the mid 1850's to connect Main Street with the newly constructed suspension bridge at Reversing Falls. This area was formerly a part of the City of Portland before that city amalgamated with Saint John in 1889. The Everett B. Jones Residence is a good example of Italianate residential architecture within this district.
The Everett B. Jones Residence is also recognized for its association with Everett B. Jones. After leasing the land from Rev. James Simonds, he had this building constructed in 1883 as a private residence for his family. Born in Westfield, New Brunswick, he came to Saint John as a young child with his parents, Stephen and Louisa Jones. While living in the city, he acted as a credit manager for the prominent department store of Manchester, Robertson and Allison for several years. He lived in this residence for a total of 25 years until he retired in 1908. His involvement in provincial and community affairs did not cease after he retired, however, and he became widely known for various benevolent endeavours that he undertook in New Brunswick. His efforts towards the establishment of the McLellan Memorial Hospital was one of his most significant and long-lasting contributions.
Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John
The character-defining elements that describe the Everett B. Jones Residence include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- cornice supported by a series of scrolled wooden brackets;
- clapboard siding;
- second storey, vertical sliding wood-framed windows ornamented by dentils and projecting entablatures;
- single-storey bay window on the northeast side of the front façade;
- elaborately detailed cornice over the bay window, supported by engaged wooden pillars and a series of closely spaced brackets;
- six-over-two, wood-framed windows in the bay, with highly ornate wood work above;
- highly ornate, semi-enclosed porch;
- rectangular transom window and sidelights surrounding the entrance.
Local Governments (NB)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John
Cross-Reference to Collection