Home / Accueil

105-107 Queen Street West

105, Queen Street West, St. Marys, Town of, Ontario, N4X, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/10/13

Of note is the second storey balcony and the veranda.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Detailed View, 105-107 Queen Street West, 2007
Of note is the gable roof and chimney placements.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Southwest Corner, 105-107 Queen Street West, 2007
Of note is the symmetrical two-storey facade and full wrap-around veranda.; Gord Strathdee, 2007.
Facade, 105-107 Queen Street West, 2007

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/10/06

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

105-107 Queen Street West is situated on the north side of Queen Street, between Robinson Street and the Thames River, in the Town of St. Marys. The two-storey limestone building was constructed in 1843, but significantly altered in 1910.

The property was designated, by the Town of St. Marys, in 1987, for its historical or architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 29-1987.

Heritage Value

105-107 Queen Street West is located just west of the Thames River. The building illustrates the importance of the river in the growth and development of St. Marys. The proximity of Ingersoll's home, close to his business, which utilized the power from the flow of the river water, demonstrates how the river was significant to his grist and saw mills. The success of these ventures led to increased settlement and development of the town.

105-107 Queen Street West is associated with early St. Marys settler Thomas Ingersoll and serves as a testimony to the founding days of the Town of St. Marys. Ingersoll was one of the first permanent residents of St. Marys, originally residing in a log cabin before moving to 105-107 Queen Street West. Ingersoll, and his brother James, established saw and grist mills, at Little Falls in 1841.

105-107 Queen Street West is a fine example of the local St. Marys limestone vernacular and is one of the oldest residences in the area. The original portion of the house was built in 1843 using limestone quarried from the riverbed. The residence was significantly altered in 1910. The simple symmetrical facade displays a full length veranda and a second storey balcony. Also of note are the gables on the east and west elevations and the symmetrical chimney placement found on the east and west roof edges.

Source: Town of St. Marys, By-Law 29-1987.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the 105-107 Queen Street West include its:
- construction of local limestone quarried from the nearby riverbed
- gables on the east and west elevation
- symmetrical facade
- symmetrical chimney placement
- second storey balcony
- veranda which spans the facade and east elevation
- proximity to the Thames River




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1910/01/01 to 1910/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of St. Marys P.O. Box 998 175 Queen St. East St. Marys, Ontario N4X 1B6

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places