Description of Historic Place
31 King Street South is situated on the east side of King Street, between Queen Street and Jones Street, in the Town of St. Marys. The two-storey brick residence was constructed in circa 1857.
The property was designated, by the Town of St. Marys, in 1987, for its architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 35-1987.
31 King Street South is located northeast of the commercial downtown of St. Marys, which illustrates its early presence in the town. Typical of early St. Marys residences, the structure is situated at the very front of the lot, close to the street.
31 King Street South is associated with wealthy St. Marys resident David Smith. Smith commissioned the building of this imposing and handsome structure, which was one of the town's first brick residences, in 1857.
31 King Street South, designed in the Classical Revival Style of architecture, is a fine example of early brick construction, in the Town of St. Marys. Typical of Classical Revival, the structure has a symmetrical three-bay Georgian plan but with more refined, delicate features. Most notable are the returned eaves, the five, six over six facade windows, with louvered wooden shutters and, in particular, the central front entranceway. Although it was modified in circa 1920, the front entranceway remained consistent with the Classical Revival style. The entranceway displays a fanlight, side lights, pilasters and an outstanding triangular architrave.
Source: Town of St. Marys, By-Law 35-1987.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 31 King Street South include its:
- location close to the downtown core
- situation at the front of the lot, close to the street
- grandeur of structure
- Georgian plan
- pitched side-gable roof
- two-storey brick exterior
- symmetrical three-bay facade
- five, 6 over 6 windows, with louvered wooden shutters
- returned eaves
- central entranceway with fan light, side lights and detailed architrave