101 3rd Avenue W, Melville, Saskatchewan, S0A, Canada
Waldman's Department Store
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Cornerstone Place is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies three lots on a prominent corner in Melville's business district. The property features a mixed brick building with a two-storey central core flanked on the south and the west by two single storey wings. The building was constructed in 1925.
The heritage value of Cornerstone Place lies in its connection to Melville's commercial development. Constructed for the Waldman family in 1925, Cornerstone Place served as a central commercial facility for the community of Melville. The brick building, with its central core and two one-storey wings, is the dominant feature of the key downtown intersection of Main Street and 3rd Avenue West. The building’s function as a store is evident in the ornate brick detailing, storefront windows, signage, and interior tin pressed ceiling. Though the building has changed owners over the years, Cornerstone Place continues to be used as a combination commercial and apartment building and continues to be a strong contributor to the character of Melville's business area.
City of Melville Bylaw No. 9/2003.
The heritage value of Cornerstone Place resides in the following character-defining elements:
- Those elements reflecting the building's use as a store including the flagpole, storefront windows, original signage, exterior brick detailing, tin pressed ceiling, and pressed metal cornice;
- Those elements reflecting the building's function as a residence including the divided apartments on the second storey; and
- The building’s location on the corner of Main Street and 3rd Avenue West.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2247
Cross-Reference to Collection