119 Mornington Street
119, Mornington, City of Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
119 Mornington Street is located on the east side of Mornington Street, south of Britannia Street, in the City of Stratford. The two storey buff brick residence was constructed in 1888.
The property was designated by the City of Stratford in 1997 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 194-97).
119 Mornington Street is associated with several prominent Stratford citizens. The first owner of the house was Johnston Abraham, a local cabinet maker and owner of 'Campell and Abraham' furniture business. John McMillam subsequently purchased the house. McMillam served as a councillor in the nearby Township of North Easthope for over 20 years and later became Reeve and then warden of Perth County. He is also notable for playing a central role in having the present County Courthouse built in Stratford.
119 Mornington Street, built in 1888, is an early example of Italianate architecture in Stratford. Typical of this style are the heavy eave brackets and a bay window on the facade surmounted by a gable roof. The residence also features decorative bargeboard and a dormer gable.
Sources: City of Stratford By-law 194-97; Reflections – 119 Mornington Street – Beacon Herald (May 16, 2001).
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 119 Mornington Street include its:
- two storey buff brick exterior with stone foundation
- gable roof
- “L” shape floor plan
- bay window on the facade
- eave brackets
- dormer gable with decorative woodwork
- decorative bargeboard
- segmental wood windows with radiating voussoirs
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Stratford
Office of the City Clerk Administrator
1 Wellington Street
Cross-Reference to Collection