Glen Williams Town Hall
1, Prince, Town of Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
Glen Williams Town Hall
1 Prince Street
Links and documents
1870/01/01 to 1871/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Glen Williams Town Hall, located at 1 Prince Street, is on the south side of Prince Street east of Main Street, in Glen Williams Town of Halton Hills. The one storey red clay brick building was constructed in 1871.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 2008 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 2008-0004).
Glen Williams Town Hall is associated with the Good Templars of Royal Oak Temple who approached Charles Williams for a piece of land for a community hall which they could also use for their temperance society meetings. Charles Williams deeded the land to nine trustees to be held in trust for the community. Built from 1870 to 1871 by Georgetown builder Walter McKay, Glen Williams Town Hall has housed numerous societies, churches, political meetings and acted as a polling station for elections.
In the twentieth century the hall provided the stage for dances and Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery who staged many works there with her Union Dramatic Players. In 1949 classes opened in the Town Hall, and in 1953 the building was officially leased to the Board of Education. After the school was relocated, the Town Hall was returned to the community. In 1976, the Town Hall was restored and in 1981 it returned to the original system whereby trustees oversaw its administration. Annual elections are currently held to select these nine trustees who are the legal owners of the building during their time of office. Glen Williams Town Hall continues to play an important role in community life.
Glen Williams Town Hall is a good representation of the Colonial “Cape Cod” style built out of small, hand pressed red clay brick made just north of Glen Williams. The hall's small stature, symmetrical facade with central entrance and multi-paned windows reflect the Colonial “Cape Cod” style. Also in keeping with the style, the building has little ornamentation.
Source: Town of Halton Hills By-law 2008-0004.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Glen Williams Town Hall include its:
- one storey red clay brick exterior
- 8.5 inch by 2.5 inch hand-pressed red clay brick
- gable roof
- 9 over 9 windows divided by wood muntins
- heavy wood window sill
- radiating voussoirs
- two wood entrance doors protected by a vestibule
- gable return
- plain bargeboard
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Cross-Reference to Collection