Home / Accueil

Baldwin House

393 King Avenue, Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/07/17

Front façade of Baldwin House; City of Bathurst
Baldwin House
Side (north) view of Baldwin House; City of Bathurst
Baldwin House
No Image

Other Name(s)

Baldwin House
Baxter's Convenience Store
Dépanneur Baxter's

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/01/08

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Built around 1857, the Baldwin House is a two-storey Dutch Colonial Revival building located on a lot at the intersection of King and St. Andrew streets in downtown Bathurst.

Heritage Value

The Baldwin House is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the original subdivision in which it is located, for its association with its first owner, for being a community gathering place and for its association with the Baxter name.

The Baldwin House was built circa 1857 on lot 67 granted to William Henry Baldwin according to the Scully subdivision plans of 1828. In addition to being a businessman, William Henry Baldwin was the Registrar for Gloucester County.

The Baldwin House is recognized as well for having served as a gathering place for the community. The building has had several uses since being converted from a residence in 1915, going from a candy store to a bakery, from a lunch counter to a pharmacy and then to a neighbourhood grocery store. Despite all of those changes, the site has remained a gathering place for downtown residents over the years.

The Baldwin House is further recognized for its association with the Baxter name since 1970, when Harold Baxter purchased the property to operate a store. Since then, the business has changed hands a number of times, but the Baxter name has remained and continues to be a landmark for the residents of downtown Bathurst.

Source: Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission Inc.

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Baldwin House include:
- location on lot 67 of the Scully subdivision plan of 1828;
- original two-storey massing and modifications of 1915;
- Dutch gambrel roof;
- commercial windows overlooking the street;
- presence of the Baxter name on the business’s sign.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1970/01/01 to 1970/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Building Social and Community Life
Social Movements
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Commerce / Commercial Services
Eating or Drinking Establishment
Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Commerce / Commercial Services
Multiple Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission, Bathurst Heritage Museum, 360 Douglas Ave., Bathurst, N. B.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places