Old Caledon Township Hall
Old Caledon Township-Hall
Town Hall Players
18365 Hurontario Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Old Caledon Township Hall is located at 18365 Hurontario Street on the east side of Hurontario Street, south of James Street in Caledon Village, in the Town of Caledon. The one storey red brick municipal building was constructed circa 1875.
The property was designated by the Town of Caledon in 1982 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 82-10).
The Old Caledon Township Hall reflects community development in the Town of Caledon. It has been a landmark structure in Caledon Village since its construction, circa 1875, and is the oldest surviving township hall in the amalgamated Town of Caledon. Built as a court house and hall for the former Caledon Township, this historic municipal building also served the community as a library, social centre and public meeting place. Many dances, card parties, wedding showers and village suppers were held within its walls. In 1963, upon completion of new township offices next door, it was converted for use as an amateur theatre by the Caledon Town Hall Players. In 2003, threatened by the widening of Hurontario Street (Highway 10), the Old Caledon Township Hall was relocated slightly to the southeast, where it remains prominently situated at the south entrance to the village. It remains in use by the Caledon Town Hall Players and as a public meeting venue.
The Old Caledon Township Hall is a good representation of municipal architecture from the 1870s. The rectangular structure is characterized by it steep gable roof, red brick exterior with decorative buff brick detailing, false buttresses and round-headed windows. Four tall, multi-pane windows are symmetrically located on each side facade between the false buttresses; two additional windows flank the centre entrance on the west end facade. The double doors are topped by a round-headed transom with radiating tracery. A simple reverse finial is located in the gable peak. In the early 20th century, a red brick, shed roof addition was made to the east end, being part of a former building relocated to this site from elsewhere in the village.
Source: Town of Caledon, By-law 82-10.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Old Caledon Township Hall include its:
- one storey red brick exterior
- gable roof
- false buttresses
- multi-pane round-headed windows
- decorative buff brickwork
- double entrance with round-headed transom with radiating tracery
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Auditorium, Cinema or Nightclub
- Town or City Hall
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Caledon
Planning and Development
6311 Old Church Road
Cross-Reference to Collection