1300-1304 Government Street, Victoria , British Columbia, V8W, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Adelphi Building is a three-storey commercial building located at the corner of Government and Yates Streets in Victoria's Old Town District. It is characterized by decorative brickwork and recessed bay windows, as well as by its tall and narrow appearance.
The Adelphi Building, constructed in 1891 by the Canadian Pacific Land & Mortgage Company, is valued for the interesting contribution it makes to the heritage character of Victoria's Old Town District. Its juxtaposition with an atypical one-storey structure on Yates Street and another building of smaller stature on Government Street make it one of the few commercial buildings of this vintage with elements of all four of its facades visible from the street. A distinct tall and narrow stature accentuated by classical pilasters, a prominent and visible corner location, and architectural detailing reminiscent of the modern idiom of the late nineteenth century, make the Adelphi building an important monument controlling vistas along the historic Government and Yates streetscapes.
Source: City of Victoria Planning and Development Dept.
The character-defining elements of the Adelphi Building include:
- Its prominent corner location.
- Its commercial use.
- Its tall and narrow stature, and three-storey massing, accentuated by its juxtaposition with buildings of smaller scale.
- Architectural detailing attributable to its 1891 design, including recessed wooden-sash bay windows, decorative brickwork, and classical pilasters.
- The visibility of elements of all four of its facades from street level.
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Victoria Planning and Development Dept.
Cross-Reference to Collection