Home / Accueil

Olivier M. Melanson House

412 Main Street, Shediac, New Brunswick, E4P, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/09/26

Olivier M. Melanson House - front view; Town of Shediac
Olivier M. Melanson House
Olivier M. Melanson House - Historic view; CÉA P227-A148
Olivier M. Melanson House
Image of Olivier M. Melanson; Town of Shediac
Olivier M. Melanson

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/01/23

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Olivier M. Melanson House, located at 412 Main Street, is a two and a half storey residence, built in 1898 in the Queen Anne style that was so popular with the wealthy class at the time.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Olivier M. Melanson House as a local historic place resides in its architectural significance. Built in 1898 to house the Honourable Olivier M. Melanson (1854-1926) and his family, the dwelling's rich architecture illustrates the affluence of this family in the region. Despite numerous renovations and modifications, the property has kept many of the architectural elements that mark the Queen Anne style in which it was built, such as its truncated roof, veranda on two sides, octagonal tower, and numerous projecting bays.

The heritage value of the Olivier M. Melanson House also relates to the success and importance of its original owner. Olivier M. Melanson, a well-known businessman, major lobster packer, and potato shipper, is considered to be the first Acadian millionaire in New Brunswick. In addition to having a solid reputation for financial and professional success, Olivier M. Melanson was elected to the New Brunswick Legislative Assembly in 1890, and is known for being the first Acadian Speaker of the House. For many years, the Melanson residence hosted countless social and musical evenings that drew the wealthy members of society.

This site has added heritage value owing to its many changes in use over the years. The property was acquired by Colonel LeBouthillier in 1940 and then sold to the Saint-Joseph Parish in Shediac. During the years 1946-1952, under the direction of the Frères de l’Instruction Chrétienne, it became the École Saint-Cœur-de-Marie, the first high school for Acadian boys in Shediac. From 1957 to 1973, the building became the first private hospital in the region. Later, the Melanson House served as a senior citizens’ home.

Source: Registrar's Office - Shediac Town Hall

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the Olivier M. Melanson House include:
- rectangular massing of the main section;
- clapboard siding;
- decorative shingling on the dormers and tower;
- truncated hipped roof;
- many dormers;
- numerous projecting bays;
- large veranda on two sides;
- octagonal tower topped by a cupola;
- decorative cornice brackets;
- brick chimneys;
- original interior wood trim;
- Tiffany style stained glass windows in the stairwell.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Community Planning Act

Recognition Type

Local Register

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1854/01/01 to 1926/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design
Governing Canada
Politics and Political Processes

Function - Category and Type


Health and Research
Hospital or Other Health Care Institution


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Registrar's Office - Shediac Town Hall

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places