2458 Water Street, Miramichi, New Brunswick, E1N, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Bremner Cottage is a Shingle style residence located on Water Street midway between the former Chatham and Loggieville.
Bremner Cottage is designated a Local Historic Place for its industrial association with Rock Heads on the Miramichi River and with the Bremner Hotel. It is also recognized for its architecture.
Bremner Cottage and the nearby former hotel are surrounded by an original mature cedar hedge, indicating the original ensemble of the grounds. The buildings front Rock Heads, a once bustling area of industry during the early days of British settlement. Bremner Cottage's first owner John A. Bremner frequented his cranberry operations a distance downriver from the residence with his sailing yacht 'Hiawatha'.
Built in 1897, Bremner Cottage is also recognized for its architectural significance. The building is influenced by American Shingle Style architecture and is a duplicate in design to the Bremner winter residence in Somerville Mass., USA.
Source: City of Miramichi Site File # 05-44
The exterior character-defining elements of this Shingle style cottage include:
- 1 1/2 storey rectangular massing;
- wooden shingle cladding;
- two storey ell clad in wooden shingles added at a later date;
- steeply pitched roof of original structure containing large gambrel roofed dormer with vertically rounded window opening on front elevation;
- main level dormer bay windows on front and side elevations;
- upper level windows in half round insets on side elevation gables;
- front side entrance accessed by open portico of veneered in mortared river rock base with round columnar supports;
- foundation added in 1928 veneered in sized river rock.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
1928/01/01 to 1928/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Miramichi
Cross-Reference to Collection