16 South Street, St. George, New Brunswick, E5C, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Hibbard House is a 19th century two and half storey Vernacular Georgian residence with two end chimneys. It is located on South Street in the town of St. George.
Hibbard House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with Francis Hibbard.
Hibbard House, constructed circa 1860 for Hon. Francis Hibbard, is a good example of a two and half storey 19th century Vernacular Georgian style residence. Its important features include the placement of the two end chimneys, the gable roof with returned eaves and its overall symmetry.
Hon. Francis Hibbard was a businessman in lumbering and mining who became a politician. He served as a Member of the New Brunswick Legislature Assembly for Charlotte County in 1907, and was the first MLA in history of the province to cross floor of the Legislature while in session.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, St. Andrews. St. George Register of Local Historic Places Collection, Site File #011
The character-defining elements that describe Hibbard House include:
- well proportioned two and half storeys wood frame construction;
- balanced façades;
- pitched gable roof;
- two end chimneys;
- side lights at front and back entrances;
- original front entrance faces Magaguadavic River;
- original back entrance faces South Street;
- location in the neighbourhood of South Boston.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, St. Andrews - St. George Register of Local Historic Places Collection
Source File #011
Cross-Reference to Collection