St. Mary's Greek Catholic Cemetery
Garry RM 245, Saskatchewan, S0A, Canada
Links and documents
1909/01/01 to 1909/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The St. Mary’s Greek Catholic Cemetery is a Municipal Heritage Property located approximately ten kilometres northeast of the Town of Ituna in the Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245. The property features a small cemetery located on a four acre plot of land established in 1909 and a metal cross.
The heritage value of St. Mary’s Greek Catholic Cemetery resides in its association with the area’s Ukrainian Catholic pioneers. The cemetery is situated on the site of the first Ukrainian Catholic church in the area. In 1919, the church was relocated approximately five kilometres northeast. St. Mary’s Greek Catholic Cemetery is the final resting place for many of the original Ukrainian residents of the district. The cemetery is marked by a metal cross symbolizing the property’s religious nature and a metal sign displaying the cemetery’s active burial period between 1909 and 1919.
The Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245 Bylaw No. 1-2003.
The heritage value of St. Mary’s Greek Catholic Cemetery resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements of the property that reflect its association with the Ukrainian Catholic pioneers of the area, including the tombstones, dated metal sign, metal cross and its position on its original location.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1909/01/01 to 1919/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2232
Cross-Reference to Collection