6722, Rideau Valley Drive South, City of Ottawa, Ontario, K4M, Canada
The Davy House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Erected in 1905, the Lindsay House is a two-and-one-half storey residential building located at 6722 Rideau Valley Drive South in the community of Kars. Rich in architectural detail and decoration, the Lindsay House is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style of architecture in the Ottawa area.
The Lindsay House has been recognized for its heritage value by the City of Ottawa (former Township of Rideau), By-law 44/86, on 2 June 1986.
The Lindsay House is a large, irregularly-shaped building, erected in 1905 by Charles Gavin Lindsay, who had purchased the land from his brother James in 1903. Upon purchase, he moved a small frame building to a lot next door and proceeded to build the house.
Well-designed and well-built, the Lindsay House is one of the most elaborate examples of Queen Anne style houses in the former Rideau Township. In addition to the decorative detail, irregular plan and roofline, typical of the style, it is an outstanding landmark in the village and surrounding area.
Sources: City of Ottawa Files XD001–XMM3200/0003427; Rideau Township Archives, LACAC Files.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Lindsay House include its:
- one and two storey verandahs with turned wooden posts and treillage
- bracketed eaves
- red brick construction on foundation of field stone and mortar
- shingles in the gable ends
- truncated hip, medium gable, and off-set high gable roofs
- iron cresting on the roof ridge
- multi-sided corner tower
- keystones embellished in a crown motif in the window arches of the two-storey bay on the south side of the house, indicating the location of the Post Office
- segmental arched windows with brick voussoirs and stone keystones
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Charles Gavin Lindsay
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa Files XD001–XMM3200/0003427; Rideau Township Archives, LACAC Files.
Cross-Reference to Collection