Home / Accueil

Dewar House

27 Hopeton Road, Stratford, Prince Edward Island, C1B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/11/10

Showing front elevation; Images East Photography, 2008
Showing front elevation
Showing decorative verandah; Images East Photography, 2008
Showing decorative verandah
Dr. George Forbes Dewar (1865-1961); "The Brothers Dewar and the Family Farm," 1975
Dr. George Forbes Dewar (1865-1961)

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This Queen Anne Revival style home features an asymmetrical roofline, corner tower with conical roof, beltcourses, and a decorative verandah with turned posts and brackets.

Heritage Value

The house is valued as a fine example of the Queen Anne Revival style and for its association with Dr. George Forbes Dewar.

George Forbes Dewar (1865-1961) was born in New Perth, PEI. He attended the local school and Prince of Wales College and became a teacher in nearby Cardigan. He decided on a career in medicine and was accepted to McGill University in Montreal. He graduated in 1893 with the top academic ranking of all those graduates from the Maritimes. In 1900, he married Marian Isabella McLeod and they had a son and a daughter.

His first medical practice was in Southport, now part of the Town of Stratford. He took over the patients of his uncle, Dr. John Knox. He was active as a physician at the PEI Hospital and his patients liked to call him "Dr. Splendid".

In 1903, he built the current house in the Queen Anne Revival style. This was at the height of fashion in the early 20th century and features a corner turret or tower and a large verandah sweeping across the front of the house.

Dewar entered provincial politics in 1911 when he was elected as a Conservative in a by-election. He was re-elected in 1912, the first time the Conservatives had formed a government on PEI since 1891. Both his brother and his son would also be involved in provincial politics.

He sold the house in 1917 to Leonard Wood. The current owner purchased it in 1998.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S22

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the two-and-one-half storey elevation
- the wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the asymmetrical roofline
- the brick chimneys
- the side side turret with octagonal roof
- the large verandah with turned posts and decorative brackets
- the beltcourses
- the fenestration of the windows and doors



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/S22

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places