396 St. Andrew Street East
396, St. Andrew Street, Township of Centre Wellington, Ontario, N1M, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Sited on a steeply-sloping lot, 396 St. Andrew Street East, is situated north of the Grand River, in the Township of Centre Wellington. This Regency style limestone cottage presents a one-storey elevation to the front and a two-storey elevation to the rear. It was constructed by William Rennie between 1858 and 1868.
The property was designated, for its architectural and historic value, by the former Town of Fergus, now the Township of Centre Wellington, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 95-018).
396 St. Andrew Street East was built by a local farmer and real-estate investor, William Rennie, between 1858 and 1868. William purchased the easternmost portion of the four adjoining lots, which were owned by James Webster, the co-founder of Fergus. It is believed that William built the house so his wife and daughter could participate in the social life of the town.
396 St. Andrew Street East is one of a set of five adjoining stone houses, built between 1857 and 1908. These houses provide a unique illustration of nineteenth-century taste in house design. This Regency style building was constructed from locally quarried limestone. Its three-bay symmetrical façade is noteworthy for its elegantly detailed entrance and large front windows. The ashlar pattern of the front masonry, which is an unusual use of the local materials, added a further note of formality, superimposed on a deep frieze board. The upper section of the rear elevation displays similar elegance, with a central door leading to an elevated verandah.
Source: Town of Fergus, Notice of Designation; Town of Fergus, Designation Notes; Wall Ad. Sept. 6, 1993-Newspaper Article: Bill Bramah's Ontario Includes Fergus Highland Games.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 396 St. Andrew Street East include its:
- locally quarried limestone
- three-bay front featuring detailed entrance with semi-elliptical transom light and
matching side lights, all with their original glass
- large front windows, one in each bay, which contain their original double-
hung sash, with six panes in each unit
- upper section of the rear elevation which has a central door leading to an elevated verandah, which is surmounted by a semi-circular top light and arch, and is flanked by floor-to ceiling windows and the adjoining bays
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1995/01/01 to 1995/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Township of Centre Wellington
1 MacDonald Square
Cross-Reference to Collection