Former Presbyterian Church
Links and documents
1950/01/01 to 1950/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former Presbyterian Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Porcupine No 395 in the Hamlet of Carragana. The property features a one-storey, concrete block church constructed in 1950.
The heritage value of the Former Presbyterian Church lies in its architecture. It was built by local parishioners with a Gothic Revival influence, typical of many other churches built in Saskatchewan during this period. These architectural elements, and its existence on its original location, help distinguish the church from the surrounding residential properties, making it a landmark in the community.
Rural Municipality of Porcupine No 395 Bylaw 4-01.
The heritage value of the Former Presbyterian Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements associated with the history and people of Carragana, including its location on its original site;
-those elements that reflect its Gothic architectural style, such as the steeply-pitched roof, corner bell tower, pointed-arch windows with red brick surrounds, pointed arch-doorways, and brick segmented arches;
-the decorative concrete blocks as its primary building material.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2139
Cross-Reference to Collection