Home / Accueil

Log Cabin, Rural School & St. David's Church

Windsor Avenue & Elm Street, Porcupine Plain, Saskatchewan, S0E, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1982/06/22

Front elevation of the Log Cabin, 2005.; Government of Saskatchewan, 2005.
Entrance of the Museum Site
Side elevation of the Rural School showing the window wall, 2005.; Government of Saskatchewan, 2005.
Rural School.
No Image

Other Name(s)

Log Cabin, Rural School & St. David's Church
Porcupine Plain and District Museum Site

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1920/01/01 to 1942/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/05/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Log Cabin, Rural School & St. David's Church is a Municipal Heritage Property within the Town of Porcupine Plain located at the intersection of Windsor Avenue and Elm Street. The property features three buildings, including two one-storey, wood-frame buildings and a one-storey log building. The buildings were constructed between 1920 and 1942 and moved onto this 0.7 hectare lot between 1976 and 1982.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Log Cabin, Rural School & St. David's Church lies in its association with the early settlement of the Porcupine Plain district. Typical of 1920s settlements, the buildings in the area were constructed out of trees from the large forested area that surrounded the growing agricultural community. In Porcupine Plain, like many other communities, early construction efforts focused on building residences, churches and schools. As such, examples of these building types were moved to the site between 1976 and 1982 in order to help interpret the early pioneer period for the local museum.

Source:

Town of Porcupine Plain Bylaw No. 6-82.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Log Cabin, Rural School & St. David's Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements of the log cabin that reflect its representation of early residential buildings, including its log construction, small rectangular form, regular massing, gable roof and double-hung windows;
-those elements of the St. David’s Church that reflect its representation of early ecclesiastical buildings in the district, including its wood-frame construction, board siding, rectangular form, regular massing, open interior floor plan, and wood-shingled, gable roof;
-those elements of the school that reflect its representation of rural educational facilities, including the window wall, rectangular floor plan, wood-frame construction, board siding and wood-shingled roof.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1982/06/22

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Migration and Immigration

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum

Historic

Education
One-Room School
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 346

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 346

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places