Murray-Walton House and Farm
266, Irish Line, Haldimand County, Ontario, N0A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Murray-Walton House and Farm, at 266 Irish Line, Cayuga, Ontario, is a representative example of the typical neo-Gothic farmstead with a two-gable roof. Built in ca. 1848, it reflects architectural trends in Ontario in general and Haldimand County in particular. The property also includes two timber-frame barns about 40' X 60' with hay lifters, a stone smokehouse, a hired-man's house, and a privy.
Haldimand County recognized its historical and architecture value with By-law 1191/95.
This one hundred acre farm was bought from the Crown, by Andrew Murray, in 1848. Mr. Murray emigrated from Scotland, settled in 1837, and was in business as a farmer and stockbreeder. A sketch of the farm and residence appears in the illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Haldimand and Norfolk. The house remained in the Murray family for several generations.
The main house is an excellent example of a neo-Gothic farmstead. All of the typical elements are present, including a gable roof and arched windows. The exterior walls are made of hand laid cut stone. The exterior trim is pin fascia boards, soffits, and fretwork verge boards. Windows are double-hung sash with casings and other trim. The front door is notable for its sidelights and transom lights in a diamond pattern.
The property has two timber-frame barns, each about 40' by 60', with hay lifters. There is also a stone smoke house (built ca. 1890), a hired man's house, and a privy. Later, hedge rows were planted to divide the fields and, in ca. 1940, a pond was added. Gas wells were drilled in ca. 1890 and 1940. The farm remains much as it was in the nineteenth century.
Source: Haldimand County By-law 1191/95
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Murray-Walton House and Farm include its:
- neo-Gothic farmstead layout
- exquisite stone masonry from the 1850s and 1890s
- main house with gable roof, hand laid cut stone and decorative wood trim
- hardware with rim locks and porcelain knobs
- vertically arched stone above both windows and doors
- pine floors throughout
- two timber frame barns
- stone smokehouse
- hired man's house
- gas wells
- field layout and pond
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1890/01/01 to 1890/01/01
1940/01/01 to 1940/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Food Supply
- Farm or Ranch
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Cross-Reference to Collection