Gypsum Mines School
1256, Regional Road 17, Haldimand County, Ontario, N0A, Canada
Gypsum Mines School
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Gypsum Mines School is a small brick school, built in 1874, on the foundation of an older log school. It is located at 1256 Regional Road 17, Cayuga, in Haldimand County.
Haldimand County designated the school, for its historical and architectural value, through By-law 538/86.
On December 4, 1844, Thomas Clark Street, lawyer, President of the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company and the Gore Bank, and Member of Parliament for Welland, Ontario, deeded to the District of Niagara one half acre of land for school purposes. The hamlet of Gypsum Mines sprang up in response to the area's flourishing gypsum industry. A log school was built to serve the community's children. The desks and shelves were built around the walls and the seats consisted of benches. According to John Bradt, who lived on a nearby farm and attended the school, black snakes frequently crawled through the floor. In 1874, the present school was built, using part of the foundation of the older log school. Between 1875 and 1894, a Union Sunday School was held every week. The architecture is typical of nineteenth century one-room schoolhouses and it is one of two remaining buildings of Gypsum Mines.
The Gypsum Mines School is an example of typical nineteenth century schoolhouse architecture. It was built in 1874 of red brick, with a gable roof clad in cedar shingles. The small mudroom, which houses the main entrance, is also red brick with a gable roof. The school itself is rather small, at 20' X 26', perhaps indicating the size of the community. There are three six over six sash windows on each side of the building. The interior is well preserved. The blackboard is mounted on the north wall and there are two more, on each side of the building between the windows. A large wood stove in the centre of the building provided heat.
Source: Haldimand County By-law 538/86.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Gypsum Mines School include its:
- original cedar shingle roof
- red brick construction
- six windows, each 6 over 6
- foundation from the earlier log school
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Haldimand School Board Office;
Cayuga Registry Office
Cross-Reference to Collection