86, Sutherland Street E., Haldimand County, Ontario, N3W, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Thompson-Colwell House, at 86 Sutherland Street East in Caledonia and facing Edinburgh Square, was the manse for the Sutherland Street Presbyterian Church, which stood next door.
Haldimand County designated it for its historical value through By-law 831/90.
On March 19, 1858, Andrew Murray obtained one acre of land from the Crown. In 1870, the church's trustees sold the land to the Reverend Thomas Wilson, the minister, as it was customary for the minister to own his house. From 1887, when William Scott bought the house, it passed through a number of hands, including W. Lenfesty in 1913, Wesley Hull in 1916, and Mr. and Mrs. Harry Thompson in 1940.
The Thompson-Colwell House is a two-storey, Gothic-inspired white frame house with a gable roof. This two-storey frame house was built in circa 1860 as the manse for the Sutherland Street Presbyterian Church. This was the first Presbyterian Manse in Caledonia and is the oldest existing manse or parsonage in the town. It has a small front veranda, covered by a gable roof, and is surrounded by shrubs and trees. The windows are sixteen over sixteen and double-hung. It is very well preserved.
Source Haldimand County By-law 831/90.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Thompson-Colwell House include its:
- proximity to Sutherland Street Presbyterian Church
- location as part of Caledonia's downtown core and an integral part of Edinburgh Square's vista
- well preserved two-storey Gothic frame structure
- small front veranda
- double-hung 16 over 16 windows
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Caledonia Public Library
Cross-Reference to Collection