Home / Accueil

Hampton Lighthouse

RR#2, Hampton, Nova Scotia, B0S, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/11/15

Front elevation of Hampton Lighthouse and view of Chute Bay, NS, 2002.; Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society March 2002
Lighthouse and Surroundings
Front elevation and grounds surrounding Hampton Lighthouse on Chute Bay, NS, 2002.; Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society March 2002
Lighthouse and Surroundings
Front elevation of Hampton Lighthouse on Chute Bay, NS, 2002.; Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society March 2002
Front Elevation

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1911/01/01 to 1911/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/11

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Hampton Lighthouse is a small wooden structure, located on Hampton Wharf Road on a hill overlooking the fishing harbour of Chute Cove, Nova Scotia. Both the lighthouse and the surrounding property are included in its provincial heritage designation.

Heritage Value

The Hampton Lighthouse is valued for its age, construction, as an example of technological changes in the industry, and for its association with the community of Hampton.

The Hampton Lighthouse was built in 1911 by Joseph Marshall. It has a square floor plan, a square tapered tower, hipped roof and a centrally mounted lantern. The lantern was initially a kerosene lamp that had to be lit each night at sunset and extinguished at daybreak. The original 6th order dioptric lens remains in place. The lightkeeper lived in the village.

During the 1940’s electricity was added to the lighthouse, which soon ended the need for a full time lightkeeper. By 1960’s operation of the lighthouse was mostly automated and employees of the Department of Transportation made monthly maintenance visits to the lighthouse. In 1973 it was fully automated.

The Hampton Lighthouse is also valued as a local landmark, primarily for its service as the lighthouse. In 2001 ownership of the lighthouse passed from the Federal Government to the Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society. It was the second lighthouse in Canada to be transfered from the Government of Canada for $1.00 under the 96-1 Directive and the first to be passed over to a non-profit community association.

Source: Provincial Heritage Property Program, file no. 267

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements of the Hampton Lighthouse relate to its original function as a navigation aid and include:

- location on Chute Bay;
- original form and massing;
- square floor plan;
- original centrally mounted lantern;
- wood shingle siding painted white with red trim;
- open balcony to service light standard;
- hip roof.



Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Province of Nova Scotia

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Provincially Registered Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation

Function - Category and Type




Navigational Aid or Lighthouse

Architect / Designer



Marshall, Joseph

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Provincial Government of Nova Scotia, Department of Tourism, Culture, and Heritage, Heritage Promotion and Development, Division Heritage, Heritage Property Program 1747 Summer Street Halifax Halifax, NS B3H 3A6

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places