Description of Historic Place
The Kuntz-Labatt's House is located at 167 King Street South, on the west side of the street, between William Street East and George Street, in the City of Waterloo. This two-storey yellow-brick building was designed in the Italianate style and was constructed in the mid-1880s.
The building was designated, for its historic and architectural significance, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 78-184).
The Kuntz-Labatt's House was built in the mid-1880s for the Kuntz family. David Kuntz was the founder of the L. Kuntz Park Brewery, originally known as the Spring Brewery. It was founded in 1844 and by 1910 had grown to become Ontario's second largest brewery. The enterprise was sold to Carling Breweries Limited, in 1929, and Colonel Hugh J. Heasley, the former Manager, lived in the home from 1944, until his death, in 1978.
Kuntz-Labatt's House was constructed in the Italianate style. The façade has a projecting centre section capped by a gable with return eaves. Paired brackets under the return eaves and the round-headed window in the gable are characteristic of Italianate detailing. A one-storey verandah begins on the front façade and wraps around to the northwest elevation. This same elevation also has a smaller, delicate second-storey verandah. Both verandahs are supported by elegant columns and display a railing with turned balusters. In 1973, Carling Breweries Limited undertook extensive renovations to the house, which were sympathetic to its original form and character.
The Kuntz family occupied other homes in the area, but most were demolished to facilitate the expansion of the Brewery. One house which remains is the Kuntz-Eckert House located across the street, at 157 King Street South. The two homes make an interesting comparison, as both houses are built of yellow-brick in the Italianate style, however each expresses the style in a different manner.
Sources: City of Waterloo By-Law 78-184; Fletcher, John. The Kuntz-Heasley House – An Architectural and Historical Landmark, Waterloo LACAC, 1977; City of Waterloo Designated Landmarks, Waterloo LACAC, 1995.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Kuntz-Labatt's House include its:
- yellow-brick construction
- façade including the projecting centre section with gable and return eaves
- Italianate detailing including paired brackets and round-headed window in the gable
- verandahs including turned balusters and elegant columns
- proximity to another Kuntz owned house, the Kuntz-Eckert House, located at 157 King Street South.