Tugaske, Saskatchewan, S0H, Canada
Links and documents
1928/01/01 to 1928/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Tugaske School is a Municipal Heritage Property located on the southwest limit of the Village of Tugaske. The 3.9-ha property consists of a grassy, hedge-bordered lot that was the site of the Village’s school, which was destroyed by fire in 1995. A mounted school bell signifies the property’s status as a former school yard.
The heritage value of the Tugaske School property lies in its association with the Village’s former school, a two-storey brick structure that was erected in 1928. Following the school’s closure in 1970, until the 1995 fire, the school continued to be valued as a landmark, and for its status as one of the oldest buildings in the village. In spite of the loss of the school building, the school yard retains its association with an important community institution, and still holds memories for many community residents.
Village of Tugaske Bylaw Number 4 - 85.
The heritage value of the Tugaske School property resides in the following character-defining elements:
-elements that speak to the property’s association with the village school, such as the original school bell mounted on the pedestal constructed of bricks salvaged from the schoolhouse, and the hedgerow that demarcates the school’s property line.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1995/01/01 to 1995/12/31
1928/01/01 to 1970/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Composite School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 862
Cross-Reference to Collection