Home / Accueil

Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada

North of Portage and Main, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1997/09/22

Aerial view of the Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada showing the relatively dense urban form based on the long lot system extending out from the Red River, 1995.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, J. Butterill, 1995.
Aerial view
General view of buildings in the Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada showing popular turn-of-the-century architectural styles including the Richardsonian Romanesque, Italianate, Beaux-Arts, and the Chicago School style, 2003.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, K. Dahlin, 2003.
General view
General view of buildings in the Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada emphasizing the  intensive occupation of building lots with buildings constructed up to the sidewalks and corners, 2003.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, K. Dahlin, 2003.
General view

Other Name(s)

Exchange District
Quartier de la bourse
Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1880/01/01 to 1913/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/12/08

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Exchange District National Historic Site of Canada is located in downtown Winnipeg, Manitoba. The site consists of a densely built, turn-of -the-century warehousing and business centre of some 150 buildings covering 20 city blocks. Most of the district was constructed from about 1880 to 1913, using the most up-to-date construction methods and architectural styles. The intact nature of its densely built grid plan with its many compact, masonry structures of limited height, the intensive occupation of the urban lots, and the use of relatively sophisticated turn-of-the-century architectural styles, gives this district a distinct identity within the surrounding city. Official recognition refers to the contributive buildings and landscape within the district boundaries.

Heritage Value

Exchange District was designated a national historic site of Canada was in 1997 because:
- it illustrates the city’s key role as a centre of grain and wholesale trade, finance and manufacturing, in the historically important period in western development between 1880 and 1913 (the period during which Winnipeg grew to become the gateway to Canada’s West and the region’s metropolis);
-the district, which has clear boundaries and largely excludes post-1913 structures, contains a range of architecturally significant built resources which speak to the city’s key economic role in the West and the collective character of these built resources is distinct and relatively intact.

The heritage value, as defined by the above reasons for recognition, resides in the district’s illustration of a densely built, turn-of-the-century warehousing and business centre utilizing contemporary construction methods and architectural styles.

Sources : Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, June 1996; Commemorative Integrity Statement, 2000.

Character-Defining Elements

Key elements that contribute to the heritage value of this site include:

- relatively dense urban form based on the long lot system extending out from the Red River,
- intensive occupation of building lots with buildings constructed up to the sidewalks and corners,
- contiguous nature of buildings,
- compact massing of most buildings (3 - 7 storeys high except for skyscrapers along Main Street),
- functional building types associated with warehousing, financing, the grain trade and manufacturing,
- popular turn-of-the-century architectural styles including the Richardsonian Romanesque, Italianate, Beaux-Arts, and the Chicago School style,
- predominance of elaborate cornices capping main facades, original windows and loading bays,
- advanced construction methods including steel frame and early fire-proofing materials,
- masonry construction materials, including local building materials such as buff brick and Tyndall limestone in addition to imported material such as terracotta, red brick, granite and sandstone,
- lot sizes and configurations often dictating buildings oriented to more than one street.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1997/09/22

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Community
Settlement

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1775

Status

Published

Related Places

Image of exterior

Former Union Bank Building and Annex National Historic Site of Canada

The former Union Bank Building/Annex is located on the west side of Main St. at the point where it curves southwards from Winnipeg's historic City Hall. Together with the…

South Elevation

Peck Building

The massive Peck Building dominates the intersection of Notre Dame Avenue and Princess Street, the southwestern gateway into Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic…

Primary Elevations

Telegram Building

The lively Victorian-era facades of the Telegram Building front the narrow angled intersection of Albert Street and McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national…

Corner View

Customs Examining Warehouse

The Customs Examining Warehouse, located in Winnipeg’s commercial district, is a four-storey, flat-roofed, brick and stone structure topped with a metal cornice. Designed in the…

General view

Postal Station “B”

Postal Station “B”, a large stone and brick building with classical detailing, is situated on a corner lot in downtown Winnipeg. The prominent design of the flat-roof building was…

South Elevation

Ashdown Warehouse

The massive Ashdown Warehouse is one of the largest structures of this type in Winnipeg. Built between 1895 and 1911, the Richardsonian Romanesque-style facility extends upward…

Front Elevation

Lake of the Woods Building

The small, elegant Lake of the Woods Building is in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site. Located near the busy intersection of McDermot Avenue and Main Street,…

Primary Elevations

Stovel Block

The Stovel Block, erected in 1893 and expanded in 1900, is a large four-storey brick commercial structure that fronts three streets in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national…

Primary Elevation

Sparling Sales Ltd. Building

The 1896 Sparling Sales Ltd. Building, a two-storey heavy masonry structure, stands mid-block within a group of commercial facilities of mostly similar scale and age in Winnipeg's…

East Elevation

Gault Building

The Gault Building, a large masonry warehouse erected in 1900 and expanded in 1903, dominates the corner of three streets in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District in close…

East Elevation

Western Building

The Western Building, a three-storey brick warehouse erected in 1901, is situated near the convergence of Albert and Arthur streets in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national…

Primary Elevation

Marshall-Wells Building

The Marshall-Wells Building, a four-storey brick warehouse erected in 1900, is set on a streetscape occupied by similar structures near the eastern boundary of Winnipeg's Exchange…

Primary Elevations

Greater Winnipeg Gas Company Building

The Greater Winnipeg Gas Company Building is a five-storey reinforced concrete and brick commercial structure erected in 1930 on a site that straddles Winnipeg's modern downtown…

Primary Elevation

Sures Building

The Sures Building, a three-storey brick building erected in 1882, is situated on McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada. The City of…

West Elevation

Union Tower Building

The 13-storey Union Tower Building is a terra-cotta-clad office skyscraper constructed of steel, concrete and brick in 1911-12 on a prominent corner in Winnipeg's Bankers' Row,…

Primary Elevation

Bank of Commerce

The Bank of Commerce, completed in 1912, is a six-storey building of steel, concrete and brick construction on Main Street in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic…

Primary Elevation

Confederation Life Building

The Confederation Life Building, a steel-framed office tower constructed in 1911-12, is a notable presence on a stretch of Main Street in Winnipeg's Exchange District that is…

Primary Elevation

Grange Building

The Grange Building, a three-storey brick and stone structure erected in 1886-87, stands mid-block within a group of early warehouses and commercial buildings in the eastern…

Primary Elevation

Royal Bank of Canada Building

The Royal Bank of Canada Building on Main Street in downtown Winnipeg is a four-storey steel frame and masonry structure erected in 1909-11. The City of Winnipeg designation…

Primary Elevation

Royal Albert Arms Hotel

The four-storey Royal Albert Arms Hotel, a brick, steel and concrete structure erected in 1913 and expanded at the front by a modern glassed-in cafe, stands mid-block among a…

Primary Elevation

Toronto Type Foundry Building

The Toronto Type Foundry Building, a narrow three-storey brick warehouse erected in 1881, is part of a significant turn-of-the-twentieth-century streetscape in Winnipeg's Exchange…

Contextual View

Donald H. Bain Building

The Donald H. Bain Building, a five- and three-storey brick structure erected in 1899, is located near the eastern edge of Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site…

Primary Elevations

Marshall-Wells Building

The Marshall-Wells Building, a four- and eight-storey brick warehouse complex erected in 1905-06 and expanded in 1912, is situated in the eastern half of Winnipeg's Exchange…

Primary Elevation

Criterion Hotel

The Criterion Hotel, built in 1903, is a tall, narrow masonry structure that occupies a small lot in a dense city block in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of…

Primary Elevation

McClary Building

The McClary Building is a tall brick and stone warehouse built between 1899 and 1912 next to a former spur line in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg…

Primary Elevations

Maltese Cross Building

Rising seven storeys above its prominent corner location, the Maltese Cross Building combines height, classical detailing and rich, dark colouring to create a distinctive…

Primary Elevation

Bank of Toronto

The Bank of Toronto is a three-storey steel, concrete and brick structure erected in 1905-06 in Winnipeg's financial district. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to the…

Primary Elevation

W.F. Alloway Building

The W.F. Alloway Building, a three-storey brick warehouse erected between 1898 and 1903, is situated east of Main Street in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of…

Primary Elevations

Northern Electric Building

The Northern Electric Building, a three-storey brick structure erected in 1928, occupies a corner site near the eastern edge of Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. Modern…

Contextual View

Bank of Hamilton

The imposing, yet graceful, nine-storey Bank of Hamilton is located in the heart of Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site, and its Bankers' Row. Built in 1916-18,…

Primary Elevation

Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel is the restored east facade of a modestly sized, three-storey brick building erected in 1882 and now integrated into a modern college complex in Winnipeg's…

Primary Elevation

House of Comoy

The House of Comoy is the restored east facade of a modestly sized, three-storey brick building constructed in 1882 and now attached to a modern college complex in Winnipeg's…

Primary Elevation

Hochman Building

The Hochman Building is the restored east facade of a modestly sized, three-storey brick warehouse built in 1882 and now attached to a modern educational facility in Winnipeg's…

Primary Elevation

Exchange Building

The Exchange Building is the restored four-storey east facade of a brick and stone office block erected in 1898 in the commercial district near Winnipeg's City Hall and now…

Primary Elevation

Utility Building

The Utility Building consists of two restored four-storey facades (east and north) of a brick retail-office block built in 1892, expanded by one floor in 1902 and now part of a…

Primary Elevation

Pantages Playhouse Theatre

The Pantages Playhouse Theatre is a two-storey brick and reinforced concrete structure built in 1913-14 in downtown Winnipeg and extended west through a modern addition to occupy…

Primary Elevations

Galpern Building

The Galpern (Porter) Building, a six-storey steel, brick and stone structure built in 1906, stands at the east end of a group of historic warehouses on McDermot Avenue in…

Primary Elevation

Adelman Building

The Adelman Building is an impressive six-storey buff brick warehouse erected between 1903 and 1912 at a major intersection in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic…

Primary Elevation

Bathgate Block

The Bathgate Block, a three-storey brick warehouse built in 1882-83, is situated in a commercial and industrial area of downtown Winnipeg, a short distance north of the Exchange…

Primary Elevation

Miller and Richard Type Foundry Building

The Miller and Richard Type Foundry Building, a four-storey brick warehouse built in 1904-05, with a modern rear rooftop addition, stands in Winnipeg's Exchange District. The City…

Primary Elevation

Ryan Block

The Ryan Block, built in 1906-07, is a seven-storey warehouse-office facility of brick and heavy timber construction in Winnipeg's Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg…

Contextual View

MacKenzie Block

The MacKenzie Block is a four-storey brick warehouse built in 1903 in Winnipeg's historic downtown Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to the building on…

Primary Elevations

Ashdown Store

Rising six storeys, the Ashdown Store, built in 1904-05, is a red-brick commercial building that is an important element in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site.…

Primary Elevation

Macdonald Shoe Store

The Macdonald Shoe Store, a one- and two-storey commercial building of mixed masonry construction and pre- and post-1900 origins, stands on an isolated site facing Main Street…

Primary Elevation

Massey Building

The Massey Building consists of two adjoining masonry structures erected between 1885 and 1904 in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada. The City of…

Primary elevations

Bate Building

Standing five storeys tall at an important intersection in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada, the Bate Building is one of the district's oldest…

Primary Elevations

Bedford Building

The large and sturdy Bedford Building, built in 1903 with an addition in 1907, is heightened by its prominent corner location in a section of Winnipeg's Exchange District (a…

Main Elevation

Hammond Building

The six-storey Hammond Building is a modestly adorned brick structure built in stages between 1902 and 1909. Located in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site, the…

Contextual View

Sterling Cloak Building

Visually striking with a distinct main facade, the Sterling Cloak Building marks the western edge of Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada. Completed in…

Primary Elevations

Union Bank Building (Royal Bank Building)

The Union Bank Building (Royal Bank Building), erected in 1903-04, is a 10-storey steel frame and reinforced concrete skyscraper on a busy street corner in Winnipeg's Exchange…

Primary Elevations

Imperial Bank of Canada

The richly appointed Imperial Bank of Canada, a three-storey steel, brick and stone banking hall and office building erected in 1906, occupies an important corner site in…

Primary Elevation

Bank of British North America

The Bank of British North America, constructed in 1903-04, is a three-storey steel frame, brick and sandstone structure with a one-storey 1914 addition located in Winnipeg's…

Contextual View

Union Bank Building Annex

The Union Bank Building Annex, a long narrow two-storey brick structure built in 1898 and converted to a savings bank in 1921, is located in Winnipeg's former Main Street…

Primary Elevation

Trend Interiors

Trend Interiors, built in 1899 and appreciably altered in 1909, is a three-storey brick commercial structure in Winnipeg's historic downtown Exchange District. The City of…

Primary Elevations

Frost and Wood Warehouse

The 1906 Frost and Wood Warehouse, a four-storey masonry structure, occupies a corner site surrounded by several of its peers near the northern edge of Winnipeg's historic…

Primary Elevations

Albert Block

The Albert Block, built in 1901, is a mixed-use commercial building located in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada. The brick building is situated at…

Primary Elevation

Gregg Building

The Gregg Building, situated mid-block on a side street in Winnipeg's historic warehouse district, is a five-storey brick structure built in 1902 and later expanded by one floor.…

Primary elevation

Swiss Building

The Swiss Building, a four-storey brick structure erected in 1882-83 and later expanded, stands in the eastern portion of Winnipeg's historic Exchange District connected by a…

Contextual View

Travellers Building

The Travellers Building, a six-storey masonry office structure built in 1906-07, sits on a prominent street corner in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site. The…

Primary Elevation

T.W. Taylor Building

The T.W. Taylor Building, built in 1882, is a modest-sized brick structure situated mid-block beside commercial buildings of similar age, height and style on McDermot Avenue east…

Primary Elevations

Chamber of Commerce Building

The Chamber of Commerce Building, also known as the Great-West Life Building, is an eight-storey steel, concrete and brick structure erected in two stages between 1909 and 1923 in…

Primary Elevations

Great-West Life Building

The Great-West Life Building, also known as the Chamber of Commerce Building, is an eight-storey steel, concrete and brick structure erected in two stages between 1909 and 1923 in…

Primary Elevation

Kilgour Block

The Kilgour Block, built in 1904-05, is a six-storey brick warehouse on Bannatyne Avenue east of Main Street in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg…

Primary Elevation

Dingwall Building

The Dingwall Building, erected in 1910-11, is a six-storey brick and stone structure in Winnipeg's historic downtown Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to…

Front elevation

Early Skyscrapers in Winnipeg National Historic Site of Canada

The Early Skyscrapers in Winnipeg National Historic Site of Canada is a grouping of three tall commercial buildings within Winnipeg’s Exchange District National Historic Site of…

Primary Elevations

Robinson, Little and Company Building

The Robinson, Little and Company Building, a six-storey brick and stone warehouse constructed in 1903, stretches the width of a city block to face two streets, Arthur and King, in…

Primary Elevations

R.J. Whitla and Company Building

The seven-storey R.J. Whitla and Company Building, a brick and stone warehouse developed between 1899 and 1911, fronts on three streets, dominating a city block in Winnipeg's…

Primary Elevations

Merchants Building

The Merchants Building, erected in 1898 and doubled in size in 1902, is a large four-storey brick and stone warehouse on a bustling street corner in Winnipeg's downtown Exchange…

Primary Elevations

Earn International Building

The Earn International Building, comprised of two pre-1900 brick warehouses, is located at the busy intersection of Princess Street and McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg's Exchange…

Primary Elevation

Birt's Saddlery

Birt's Saddlery, built in 1901, is a modest three-storey masonry structure on a densely developed part of Main Street in Winnipeg's historic warehouse and financial district. The…

Primary elevations

Great West Saddlery Building

The Great West Saddlery Building, a six-storey reinforced concrete, brick and stone structure (1910-11) with a one-storey annex (1929), occupies a corner site near the…

Contextual View

Electric Railway Chambers

The Electric Railway Chambers is a tall, elegant office tower constructed of steel, concrete and brick in 1912-13 and located in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic…

Contextual View

Great West Saddlery Warehouse

The Great West Saddlery Warehouse, a five-storey brick structure built in 1898 and twice expanded by 1909, occupies a corner site near one edge of Winnipeg's historic Exchange…

Primary Elevaton

Chatfield Distributors Building

The Chatfield Distributors Building is a narrow two-storey brick structure erected in 1904-05 on Bannatyne Avenue east of Main Street in Winnipeg's historic warehouse district.…

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places