Roman Catholic Rectory
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in 1825, the Roman Catholic Rectory is a wooden one-and-a-half storey, Maritime Gothic Revival residence with triple Gothic cross-gables on the front façade and a central entranceway. It is located on Parr Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Roman Catholic Rectory is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with the Catholic religion in St. Andrews and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Roman Catholic Rectory is recognized for being a good example of Gothic Revival residential architecture. This style is characterized by the three Gothic gables that break the plane of the roof-line. The central and largest cross-gable, with a pitched roof, is flanked by two smaller cross-gables with jerkinhead roofs. The cross-gables are heavily moulded and each contains Gothic Revival windows. Gable returns and single-storey bay windows are used in the side façade. This attractive property has beautiful grounds which, when built, occupied an entire block-face.
The Roman Catholic Rectory is also recognized for its association with the Catholic Diocese in St. Andrews. The Parish of St. Andrews is one of the oldest Roman Catholic parishes in the Maritimes. Father Mauricette, of Quebec, upon a visit to St. Andrews in 1822, sparked local initiative to construct an edifice for worship and, in 1825, the first Roman Catholic Church was built on the corner across from the property in question, where the grave sites of their parishioners are still marked. The rectory was built shortly thereafter and the first parish priest, Rev. John Cummins, of Ireland, resided there. Rev. Cummins was parish priest from 1825 to 1836. The parish of St. Andrews was erected under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Quebec as the Diocese of New Brunswick was not created until 1842. The present Catholic Church was built in 1885 and in 1888 the Rectory was sold. The Rectory is a piece of Irish Canadian history and exemplifies the strong will of the Irish settlers.
The Roman Catholic Rectory is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell-designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. As of 2001, the population of St. Andrews was less than 2,000 inhabitants. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Roman Catholic Rectory”
The character-defining elements of the Roman Catholic Rectory include:
- triple cross-gable dormers, the central cross-gable with a pitched roof and the flanking cross-gables with jerkinhead roofs;
- Gothic arched windows in cross-gables;
- heavily moulded eaves;
- moderately-pitched gable roof with returned eaves;
- large corner pilasters;
- veranda with Gothic fretwork;
- side façades with single-storey bay windows;
- window placement and proportions;
- five-bay front façade with central entranceway.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Migration and Immigration
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
Cross-Reference to Collection