Derry West Cemetery
25, Derry Road West, City of Mississauga, Ontario, L5W, Canada
Derry West Cemetery
25 Derry Road West
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Derry West Cemetery is located at 25 Derry Road West, on the north side of Derry Road, at the north-west corner of Derry Road West and Hurontario Street, in Mississauga. The cemetery was established in circa 1830.
The City of Mississauga designated the property, in 2007, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 089-2007).
The Derry West Cemetery is situated on the former site of the Derry West Anglican Church. Located prominently at the intersection of Derry Road West and Hurontario Street, the cemetery provides an important visual reminder of the former Village of Derry West.
Derry West Cemetery is associated with Joseph Carter, Derry West's Anglican and Presbyterian churches, and Derry West founder George Graham. The cemetery was a burying ground for many of the area's earliest pioneers and is one of Mississauga's earliest cemeteries. The property was the site of the original Anglican Church in Derry West, which was built by Joseph Carter on his own land. Carter was a Justice of the Peace, postmaster and teacher. When Bishop John Strachan refused to support Carter and give him Holy Orders, Carter sold his land, but deeded the property on which the church stood to the Church of England. The church eventually flourished and Presbyterian services were also held in the structure until their congregation was able to build their own church. Services were held at this former church site from 1829 until 1867 when much of the village was destroyed by fire.
Derry West founder George Graham and his son Thomas are both buried in the cemetery. Archaeological studies show that the first burials took place in circa 1830; however, the earliest marker dates to 1842. Burials continued following the decline of the village in 1867 and the cemetery officially closed in 1936. There are seventy-five known internments but few markers remain. A historic plaque was erected to commemorate the cemetery which is the only remaining evidence of the village of Derry West.
Derry West Cemetery is representative of nineteenth century cemetery design. The cemetery is characterised by a naturalistic setting, the use of markers and monuments and a park-like layout for public use.
Sources: City of Mississauga Heritage Register Report; City of Mississauga Corporate Report, June 20, 2006.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Derry West Cemetery include its:
- street facade
- location on the site of the Anglican Church
- mature trees
- seventy-five known internments
- remaining markers, including those marking the graves of George and Thomas Graham
- naturalistic setting
- park-like layout
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1936/01/01 to 1936/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning & Heritage
201 City Centre Drive
9th Floor, Community Services
Cross-Reference to Collection