8, Queen Street East, City of Brampton, Ontario, L6V, Canada
Links and documents
1888/01/01 to 1889/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Dominion Building is a prominent landmark located at the Four Corners in downtown Brampton. The three storey building was designed in the Romanesque Revival style and built in 1888. The front facade is dressed in heavily textured Credit Valley sandstone that was quarried at the Forks of the Credit in Caledon Township. It is further distinguished by a mansard roof, lantern and clock tower. The clock tower was built in 1914. In 1939 a single storey extension was built off the rear of the building. The post office relocated to a larger facility in 1958 and the building was acquired by the Town of Brampton as the Police Station. In the early 1970s it was sold to private interests.
The exterior of the building was designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act in 1979 (By-law 26-79).
The Dominion Building was designed by the Government of Canada's Chief Architect Thomas Fuller (1823-1898). Fuller was a prominent Canadian architect and this building is an excellent example of his work. The Dominion Building is also a very good example of the Romanesque Revival style, which is locally quite rare. The building demonstrates the effective use of locally quarried (Credit Valley) sandstone and also the craftsmanship of local building contractors and trades people. Craftsmanship is particularly evident in the Dominion Coat of Arms rendered in sandstone over the third storey windows of the front facade.
Historically, this important public works project demonstrates the increasing influence and presence of the federal government in small towns across Canada at the end of the 19th century and the importance of downtowns as centres of commerce and daily life. The architectural sophistication and central location of this building (at the geographic and civic heart of the community), underscores the importance of the postal service in local communities across Canada.
The Dominion Building holds considerable landmark status. It remains a familiar and conspicuous feature of the downtown. The monumental clock tower is visible through the core of the City.
Source: City of Brampton Heritage Designation Files.
Character defining elements that contribute to the significance of the property include the following its:
- size and massing as related to the Romanesque Revival style of architecture
- architectural details typical of public buildings designed by Thomas Fuller
- prominent landmark status of the building and its clock tower
- visibility and prominence at the "Four Corners"
- use of heavily textured Credit Valley sandstone on the front facade
- full three storey building height
- Dominion Coat of Arms rendered in sandstone over the third storey windows on the front facade
- arched windows and doors topped with radiating voussoirs
- doric columns, pediments, dome and other detailing in the four-faced clock tower
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1939/01/01 to 1939/01/01
1914/01/01 to 1914/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Post Office
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage designation files are maintained by the City of Brampton (Heritage Coordinator's office); City Hall, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, ON, L6Y 4R2.
Cross-Reference to Collection
Original architectual plans located in the Library and Archives of Canada (RG-11M, Accession: 79003/42).