Links and documents
1921/01/01 to 1926/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Matthew’s Anglican Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located on Lots 17 to 20 of Block 27 in the City of Regina. The property features a church which is constructed from orange-red bricks with Tyndall Stone accents between 1921 and 1926.
The heritage value of the property resides in its Late Gothic Revival style of architecture. In 1913, the congregation commissioned the Regina architectural firm of F. Chapman Clemesha and Francis H. Portnall to design a brick church on the same block as their existing wood-frame church, but the economic recession and the First World War delayed its construction. In 1926, Francis Portnall revised the original 1913 design after Clemesha left the partnership in 1923. Sixteen historical stained glass windows were installed in 1986. This simplified Late Gothic Revival design includes classical elements such as the pointed-arch stained glass windows, the large stained glass rose window and the flat bracketed hood over the main front entrance.
The heritage value of the property also resides in its association with Regina pioneer and businessman, George Broder (1855-1929). Broder emigrated from Ireland, arriving in the North-West Territories in April 1883, and in Regina in 1886. Here he operated a dairy farm on land immediately east of the town, which was later annexed to the city. Broder subdivided this land and constructed many residences here, as well as providing land for the erection of St. Matthew’s Church. He also built or owned several commercial buildings in Regina, including the original Allen (Rose) Theatre, and during the boom period of the late 1920s, the Broder (Medical and Dental) Building, and the Traveller’s Building. He also owned the Champlain Hotel. In 1930, the rose window in the church was dedicated in his memory by his family.
The heritage value of the property also resides in its status as a local landmark and its contribution to the historic architectural character of the community.
City of Regina Bylaw No.2005-49.
The heritage value of St. Matthew’s Anglican Church lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements associated with Francis Portnall’s interpretation of the Late Gothic Revival style of architecture, such as the pointed-arch windows, large stained glass rose window, and the flat bracketed hood over the main front entrance;
-those elements that reflect the property’s association with former Regina businessman George Broder, including its location on Broder’s original dairy farm;
-those elements which speak to its status as a local landmark and its contribution to the historic architectural character of the community, including its location on its original site.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Francis H. Portnall
Bird & Woodall
Location of Supporting Documentation
Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Dr., Regina, SK, S4P 4H2
File No: MHP 2305
Cross-Reference to Collection