Home / Accueil

Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office

2340 Albert Street, Regina, Saskatchewan, S4P, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2000/02/16

View of Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office from SE, 2004.; Government of Saskatchewan, Cal Fehr, 2004.
Saskatchewan Government Telephones Building
Close-up of moulded provincial crest and telephone motif, 2000; Government of Saskatchewan, 2000.
Interior feature of Property
No Image

Other Name(s)

Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office
Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office
Royal Saskatchewan Museum Annex

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1924/01/01 to 1924/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/12/22

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office is a Provincial Heritage Property occupying one large commercial lot in the City of Regina. The property features a two-storey brick and stone office building constructed in 1924.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office lies in its status as the first purpose-built head office for Saskatchewan Government Telephones. The provincial government entered the telephone business in 1908 with the purchase of the Saskatchewan assets of The Bell Telephone Company of Canada. The growth of the Department of Telephones in the post-World War I period necessitated the construction of a building to house the department's administrative staff. Viewed as a significant step in the development of the small, but important department, the building served as the administrative offices for telephone operations in Saskatchewan until 1965.

The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture. Designed by the provincially noted architectural firm of Van Egmond and Storey, the building is an excellent representation of the Stripped Classical Style common amongst public buildings of the post-World War I period. The building features the simplified entablature, engaged pilasters and symmetrically arranged window and floor plans typical of the building style and in keeping with the Telephone Department's policy of constructing attractive buildings designed to create an image of strength, stability and functionality. The incorporation of geometric motifs in the brick work of the spandrels and on the north façade of the building, along with the decorative stone carvings surrounding the entryway, made the structure an attractive and unobtrusive addition to the formerly residential neighbourhood.

The heritage value of the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office also resides in the integrity of the building. In addition to the original façade, the building also retains the original metal frame, segmented windows. Uncommon for many government office buildings of the period, the building also retains much of its original interior hallway and office layout, wood and tile work, marble walls and fixtures. Of note is the intricate plaster plaque in the ground floor lobby featuring a moulded motif of a telephone and lilies, the provincial flower. These interior elements show how the images of attractiveness, stability and functionality were perpetuated inside the building and provide a rare look at the craftsmanship, building materials and spatial arrangements used in 1920's offices.

Source:

Province of Saskatchewan: Notice of Intention to Designate as Provincial Heritage Property, December 2, 1999.

Province of Saskatchewan: Order Designating Provincial Heritage Property, February 16, 2000.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Head Office resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements which represent the Stripped Classical style of architecture, including projecting brick pilaster, projecting stone cornice and regular window pattern;
-the tall segmented windows;
-the decorative stone and brickwork on the façade;
-those elements which speak to the use of the building by Saskatchewan Government Telephones, including the moulded plaster plaque in the lobby;
-those interior elements which speak to the original integrity of the office, including partition walls, windows and doorways;
-those elements which speak to the craftsmanship and building materials employed in 1920's buildings including terrazzo flooring, wood doors, metal and wood stairwell and the wood, tile and stone trim.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Government of Saskatchewan

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 39(1)

Recognition Type

Provincial Heritage Property

Recognition Date

2000/02/16

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum
Government
Office or office building

Historic

Architect / Designer

Van Egmond and Storey

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: PHP 1989

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

PHP 1989

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places