Description of Historic Place
This country church is located in the pastoral setting of Glenwood in Prince County. It features a gable roof and wood shingle cladding. The entrance tower clips the front gable and has four louvres in its roof. The building features pointed arch Gothic windows with tracery including a transom Gothic window above the double entrance door. A wooden sign identifying the church and its foundation year of 1905 is located near the entrance.
The church is valued for its Gothic Revival design elements, for its association with the early Roman Catholic settlers of Glenwood, and for its contribution to the heritage character of the area.
Parishioners originally worshipped in the local homes of "Big Philip" Stewart in West Point and Neil MacIsaac in Glenwood. The closest churches were located at Brae and Tignish. By the early 20th century, parishioners began raising funds through community picnics and other means to construct a new church in Glenwood. It would serve the spiritual needs of parishioners from the communities of Hebron, Milburn, Glenwood, Dunblane, West Point, Brae, O'Leary, and West Cape.
By 1902, land was secured and the foundation and body of the current building was constructed by John MacIsaac. Other parishioners who assisted in the project included: Nicholas Bulger, David Stewart, Steve Stewart, Jim Stewart, Philip A. Stewart, Alexander Stewart, and James MacIsaac.
The church was completed in 1905 and by 1913 was dedicated as "Corpus Christi" to serve as a mission church in the area.
The interior of the church was completed in the 1930s by John Noble Ladner with the assistance of Harry Stewart among others.
Over the years, the church has had several improvements including the addition of electric lights and improved heating. Several stained glass windows have been added in memory of former parishioners. New pews and the tabernacle were obtained from the former Canadian Forces Air Base chapel in Summerside.
Today, the building is well maintained and is associated with St. Anthony's Parish in Bloomfield.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/C8
The heritage value of the church is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof
- the square tower clipping the front gable topped by a pointed roof terminating in a cross and having four louvres
- the pointed arch Gothic windows with tracery
- the stained glass windows
- the addition at the back of the church
- the transom Gothic window above the double entrance doors
- the cemetery located behind the church