1295, Burnhamthorpe, City of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
1295 Burnhamthorpe Road East
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Moore-Stanfield House is a one-and-a-half-storey red brick dwelling located at 1295 Burnhamthorpe Road on the south side of Burnhamthorpe Road, west of Dixie Road in the City of Mississauga.
The property was designated by the Corporation of the City of Mississauga in 1989 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 658-89).
The Moore-Stanfield house is associated with Samuel Moore who was a land speculator, who in 1854 owned much of the land that became the Village of Burnhamthorpe. Moore contributed to the settlement of the area by purchasing a number of properties in Peel County and surrounding area. In 1886, Moore sold the house to his brother-in-law Joseph Stanfield, son of Thomas Stanfield, one of the original settlers in Burnhamthorpe. By 1877 the Village of Burnhamthorpe had a population of 100 and contained a school, post office, blacksmith and wagon shops.
The Moore-Stanfield House is a good representation of the vernacular gothic architecture that was widely used across rural Ontario. In accordance with this style the one-and-a-half-storey residence has a symmetrical three bay facade, T-shaped plan, a central gable in the main facade and a medium pitch gable roof. The facade cornice is broken in the middle by a lancet window under the central gable. The property also includes a one-storey rubble stone and wood outbuilding situated in the north-west corner of the property.
Source: The City of Mississauga, By-law No. 658-89.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 1295 Burnhamthorpe Road, Mississauga include the:
- one-and-a-half-storey, red brick exterior
- symmetrical three bay facade
- central gable in the main facade
- medium pitched gable roof
- two internal chimneys and one external chimney
- sash windows
- segmental headed windows
- decorative dichromatic brick voussoirs
- lancet window in gable
- front door with four raised panels and segmental transom with plain glass
- one storey random course stone outbuilding
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
9th Floor, Community Services
2010 City Centre Dr.
Cross-Reference to Collection