Home / Accueil

Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum

7010 5th Street, Rosthern, Saskatchewan, S0K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/05/19

Front elevation of Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum, 2003.; Government of Saskatchewan, Jennifer Bisson, 2003.
Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum
View from from SW; Government of Saskatchewan, Jennifer Bisson, 2003
Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum
No Image

Other Name(s)

Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum
German-English Academy

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1909/01/01 to 1910/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/09/23

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum is a Municipal Heritage Property situated prominently on a one-hectare corner lot in the Town of Rosthern. The property features a two-storey brick building, built as a school in 1910, with a landscaped green space around the building.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum resides in its association with the Mennonite community's early commitment to the preservation of its identity through education. Originally named the German-English Academy, the school was established to provide instruction in English, to preserve the German language, and to maintain the Mennonite religion and way of life. The building served in this capacity until 1963, when a newer and larger facility was built on a neighbouring lot to accommodate the growing student population and the expansion of its curriculum to a junior college.

Heritage value also lies in the building's architecture. The Mennonite Heritage Museum is one of the most distinctive buildings in the community with its locally-made orange-red brick, fieldstone foundation, and location on a large, landscaped green space. It also reflects a mixture of Georgian and Colonial Revival elements, which are displayed in its symmetrical lines, rounded-arch first-floor windows, and balconied porch supported by four Classical columns, all of which contribute to the building's sense of authority.

The German-English Academy became the Rosthern Junior College in 1963 and, though now operating out of a different building, the school continues to provide education while maintaining its focus on the Mennonite religion and way of life. Now the Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum, the original building stands as a symbol to its alumnae, as well as to the local community, of the Mennonite community's early commitment to education and to the survival and identity of the Mennonite way of life.


Town of Rosthern Bylaw No. 8708.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Rosthern Mennonite Heritage Museum resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the mixture of Georgian and Colonial Revival architectural elements, such as the four dormers with lunettes, the symmetrically spaced windows, the four front columns;
-those elements that speak to the local construction, such as the fieldstone footing and the locally made orange-red brick;
-those elements that speak to its association with the Mennonite community, including the siting of the building on its original one-hectare, well-landscaped lot.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being

Function - Category and Type




Special or Training School

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK MHP 1139

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1139



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places