Home / Accueil

Lauchlin Morrison House

3412 Trans Canada Highway - Route 1, South Pinette, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/02/08

Showing front and side elevations; Province of PEI, 2008
Showing front and side elevations
Renovations underway in 1970s; Private Collection
Renovations underway in 1970s
Showing wooden pegs in rafters; Province of PEI, 2008
Showing wooden pegs in rafters

Other Name(s)

Lauchlin Morrison House
Cantelo House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/02/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This one-and-one-half storey vernacular style house is located along the Trans Canada Highway in South Pinette. Although exterior elements of the home have been upgraded, the symmetrical facade with central entrance and the gable roof remain intact. Many interior elements have been maintained including the wooden peg and beam rafters and the original wooden board walls, floors, stairs, and ceilings.

Heritage Value

The house was constructed in 1849 by Lauchlin Morrison. He was a descendant of the Skye Pioneers who came to Belfast, PEI, in 1803. A later owner was Mrs. Annie Ross who purchased the home for her niece and nephew, Jennie and Dan Cantelo. Around 1928, the house was moved from its original location further up the road to land owned by Dan's father, Jack Cantelo.

In 1940, the house was moved again by John Cook with horse and capstan to its current location. Jennie and Dan Cantelo continued to reside in the home until their deaths. The house remained vacant for sixteen years and had several owners. In 1973, the daughter of Jennie and Dan purchased the home and began renovating it. Today, the exterior has been upgraded, but the interior retains many of its original elements.

James Cantelo (1760-1836) and his family first came to PEI from the Isle of Wight in England around 1805. They first settled in Charlottetown, but then left for New York, returning to PEI in the 1820s. In 1833, their son, John purchased one hundred acres of land in the Belfast area. The current owner is a descendant of this family.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/K7

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the wood frame construction
- the wooden pegs used to construct the rafters
- the gable roof
- the brick chimney
- the wood shingle cladding
- the symmetrical facade with central entrance



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/K7

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places