Links and documents
1909/01/01 to 1909/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
All Saints Anglican Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located at 311 Main Street in the Town of Watrous. The property features a small one-storey, stucco-clad church, which was constructed in 1909.
The heritage value of All Saints Anglican Church resides in the property’s use as a place of worship for Anglican parishioners in central Saskatchewan. Following the missionary work by Reverend Walter H. White to reach newcomers during the early years of the northeast part of the Diocese of Qu’Appelle, All Saints was constructed in the spring of 1909. Volunteers framed and enclosed the church on Empire Day, May 24, 1909 and the first service was held on June 9, 1909. At that time, the parish included communities such as Young, Zelma, Bladworth, and Davidson. The church continues to be used as a place of worship.
Heritage value also resides in the church’s architecture, which reflects the Gothic Revival influence that was common in prairie Anglican churches at the time. The wood-frame construction on a fieldstone foundation, with exterior walls finished in stucco, simple rectangular plan, and steeply pitched gable roof, are typical features of small rural churches constructed in Saskatchewan during the early years of the last century. The church’s pointed-arch windows and doors, and stylized Celtic cross on the peak of the roof speak to the church’s English character.
Additional heritage value resides in the church windows. The magnificent stained glass window on the west wall was formerly the east window in the Church of St. John the Baptist in Latton, Wiltshire, England. It is believed to have been designed by Victorian architect William Butterfield (1814-1900) and installed in 1861 by Alexander Gibbs. This Latton window is believed to be the oldest surviving window of 150 completed by Butterfield and Gibbs. This window was removed from its original location in 1911. Upon inquiry by Rev. Frank King, minister at All Saints, Latton donated this window to All Saints, and it was shipped in 2000 pieces to Watrous, and re-assembled. The window has three panels with each panel taking the form of a trefoil above a Gothic arch. The ascended Christ is seated upon the throne in the centre panel, while the figures of St. Peter and St. Paul appear in the outer panels. The smaller stained glass window on the east wall, depicting the Good Shepherd, was installed in 1912. In addition, the congregation dedicated five memorial windows in 1980. The design and deep shades of colour of the west window, combined with the other windows, create an appearance in harmony with other Gothic-inspired elements and contribute to the status of All Saints Anglican Church as a landmark in the community.
Town of Watrous Bylaw No. 6-90.
The heritage value of All Saints Anglican Church lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that contribute to the property’s status as a landmark in the community, including its location on the original site, and its stained glass windows;
-elements that reflect the building’s architectural influences, such as the pointed-arch window and door openings, steeply pitched gable roof, stylized Celtic cross, and simple rectangular plan.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1909/01/01 to 1912/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File No: MHP 1354
Cross-Reference to Collection