Home / Accueil

St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall

Bayne RM 371, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2003/05/08

Front view of St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall as seen through two of the memorial cairns, 2003.; Government of Saskatchewan, Jay Kasperski, 2004.
oblique view of Hall and memorial cairns
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall
St. Lazlo Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1903/01/01 to 1911/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/04/26

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies .477 ha of land in the Rural Municipality of Bayne No. 371, approximately 6.5 kilometres northeast of the Village of Prud'homme. The property features a cemetery, three stone cairns, and a wood-frame church with a bell tower, completed in 1911.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall lies in its connection to the religious values of the Hungarian immigrants who settled in this area. Named after St. Laszlo, a venerated saint in Hungary and also the patron saint of travelers, construction of the church began shortly after the arrival of the first Hungarians to the area. The construction of this church demonstrated the settlers’ desire to continue their religious practices in the Hungarian language in their new setting. The grounds surrounding the church building features three cairns dedicated to the church founders and a cemetery where many of the original settlers are laid to rest.

The property is also valued as a representative example of rural church architecture. Of wood-frame construction, St. Laszlo's features a rectangular-shaped sanctuary with vaulted ceiling, regularly-spaced arched windows along the sides and a centrally positioned bell tower on the front façade of the building.


Rural Municipality of Bayne No. 371 Bylaw No. 1/03.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Laszlo Canadian Magyar Hall resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those features reflecting the building's use as a place of worship, including the cross on the roof and three round windows on the front façade;
-those elements which reflect the representative architecture of the building, including wood-frame construction, rectangular form, bell tower and arched windows;
-those elements of the grounds which speak to the association with the Hungarian immigrants, including the fieldstone construction of the cairns and the carved plaques featured on each cairn;
-the headstones and defined green space of the cemetery.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship


Architect / Designer



Mike Arany

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 2248

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 2248



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places