40 Great George Street
40 Great George Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada
40 Great George Street
Bank of Prince Edward Island
Links and documents
1867/01/01 to 1868/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
40 Great George Street is a large, brick, Italianate influenced public building located on the corner of historic Great George Street and King Street. The building was built originally to house the Bank of Prince Edward Island but has had many different uses including a Customs House and offices for Federal and Provincial governments. Customs House is currently owned by the Provincial Government and houses offices. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of 40 Great George Street lies in its association with the Bank of Prince Edward Island, its architecture and its importance to the Great George Street and King Street streetscape.
Built in 1867-1868 to house the headquarters of the Bank of Prince Edward Island, this structure was the second location for the bank, which had begun operating in 1856 on the corner of Queen and Water Streets. Prominent Halifax architect, David Stirling designed the building and William Lowe was the principal carpenter for the project. The bank was built with Island brick from Kelly’s brickyard, as recorded in Henry Cundall's diary. Cundall was the son of the Bank's former cashier.
The Bank of Prince Edward Island prospered for a number of years until it became insolvent in 1882, due in part to an economic slow down, as well as mismanagement. The Bank of Nova Scotia soon acquired the building. The building’s ownership and tenants would change frequently throughout the years. It has been home to a number of Federal and Provincial departments, as well as another financial institution, the Merchants Bank of Prince Edward Island. The building was used to house the Customs House and Department of Marine and Fisheries until the 1950s and still bears the name Customs House. It currently houses Provincial government offices.
The Island brick building is one of a number of ornate, 19th century public buildings on Great George Street. It is a vital part of the Great George Street and King Street streetscapes.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following Italianate inspired character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of 40 Great George Street:
- The size and shape of the Island brick construction with its interesting details, particularly the round arch windows and doors, as well as the detail running along the roofline
- The style and placement of the windows, particularly the paired arched windows of the first and second floor facade with their freestone casings and sills
- The style and placement of the front doors with their arched doorways that match the window arches
- The low hipped roof
Other character-defining elements of 40 Great George Street include:
- The location of the building on the corner of Great George Street and King Street
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Office or office building
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Bank or Stock Exchange
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection
The former Bank of Prince Edward Island / Customs House building is located on historic Great George Street in Charlottetown. The 3 storey Italianate structure faces onto the…