91 Water Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada
Links and documents
1859/01/01 to 1860/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Bonded Warehouse is a three storey, brick commercial building located on Water Street. Originally used as a bonded warehouse for the Customs Department, the large building has been renovated and now houses offices. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of the Bonded Warehouse lies in its role in the history of Charlottetown, its association with chief coroner, Daniel Hodgson (1803-1883) and its importance to the Water Street streetscape.
Coroner, Daniel Hodgson had the warehouse built in 1859-1860. It was rented to the Customs Department for use as a bonded warehouse. This is a warehouse where goods are stored without excise or customs duties being charged until after they are removed from the warehouse. The shutters were made of iron and likely deterred theft of the goods inside. Built to last, it not only survived the Great Fire of 1866, it stopped the fire from moving any further.
Hodgson worked in a number of posts throughout his career. He was appointed chief coroner in 1830 and later, in 1839, he was selected to serve as Prothonotary (which meant he had the power to sign and affix the seal of the court to all applicable documents) and Clerk of the Crown. In 1853, during the absence of Judge Charles Young, Hodgson was appointed as Judge of Probate. Among his many roles, he also served as Commissioner for issuing treasury notes, Commissioner for affidavits in the Supreme Court and Clerk of the Crown for Justices of the Peace in 1864.
Merchant, Edward Kelly advertised the warehouse for rent in 1905. Kelly was a successful local merchant who owned property all over Charlottetown. Other occupants of the building include E.T. Higgs and the J.W. Windsor Company.
The warehouse has changed little since it was built. It has been renovated over the years and now houses office space rather than goods. Located on a street with a range of early to mid 19th century architecture, the Bonded Warehouse is unique and compliments the streetscape. It is an important reminder of the role Water Street played in the commercial history of the City, when many seafaring vessels brought goods to and from the Island capital.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of the Bonded Warehouse:
- The overall massing and solid brick construction of the building
- The style and placement of the brick and stone throughout the facade, including the freestone lintels and sills
- The placement and style of the windows, including the large windows on the second and third floors
- The placement and style of the double doors. The doors had been moved to their central location at some point in the building’s history, however the door was once located below where the western first floor window sits.
- The shutters on the facade of the building. The areas where the shutters were once fastened on the sides of the building are still visible.
- The gabled roof
Other character-defining elements of the Bonded Warehouse are:
- The location of the building on Water Street
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Commerce / Commercial Services
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection