100 King Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Blake House is a three storey, brick constructed, Georgian influenced building completed in 1866 for the Blake Family, after their home was consumed by the Fire of 1866. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of the Blake House lies in its association with the Blake family, its Georgian influenced architecture, its association with Lieutenant Governor Donald Alexander MacKinnon (1863-1928) and its role in supporting the King Street streetscape.
The Blake House has had an interesting history. Like many others in the area, local butcher, Patrick Blake was burned out in the Fire of 1866. The family quickly rebuilt using brick. Tragically, during the construction of the home, labourer, Walter Gaul, fell from the site and died shortly after.
The style chosen shows strong Georgian influences with a symmetrical front facade of five bays on the upper two floors with a central doorway on the ground floor. This example is also unique because it has a flat roof. The Georgian style emerged from 18th Century Britain and was intent on expressing confidence, order, and balance. Combined with the solid brick construction of this building, the result was intended to impress. It remains a good example of the style in the City.
A later resident of the Blake House was Lieutenant Governor Donald Alexander MacKinnon. A 1905 article noted that the newly appointed Lieutenant Governor would be moving from the Blake House to Government House, the Lieutenant Governor’s mansion, after his vacation.
MacKinnon was a teacher, politician and historian. Early in his career, he had been a public school teacher, however he would go on to practice Law. He was called to the bar in 1887 and granted King's Counsel in 1901. MacKinnon joined Hon. A.B. Warburton in a law partnership in approximately 1897. The two practised from their office in the Cameron Block on Victoria Row. Interestingly, in 1906, the pair wrote a history of Prince Edward Island called, “Prince Edward Island - Past and Present” The book is still a valuable resource for students of PEI history today.
Active politically, MacKinnon was elected to the Provincial Legislature in 1893 and 1897. He later turned to Federal politics and went on to be elected to the House of Commons in 1900, 1901 and 1921. In between his Provincial and Federal political experiences, MacKinnon was appointed to the post of Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. He served from 3 October 1904 until 30 May 1910.
The Blake House is no longer a private residence but now serves as an apartment building. Located between two wood framed homes, the large, brick Blake House is a prominent addition to the King Street streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements illustrate the Georgian influenced heritage value of 100 King Street:
- The overall massing of the building
- The size and shape of the brick exterior
- The symmetrical placement and style of the windows including, the tall, six over six windows of the front facade with freestone lintels and sills, as well as the bay window of the eastern side of the building
- The placement and style of the centrally placed recessed door, with its transom light and side light
- The bay projection on the east side of the building with its freestone and brick details
- The flat roof with its dentil detailing
- The style and placement of the chimney
- The location as part of the King Street streetscape
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection