Home / Accueil

55-57 Euston Street

55-57 Euston Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1979/10/26

Showing south elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2005
55-57 Euston Street
Showing house circa. 1900 during J.C. James' ownership; PARO/PEI H.B. Sterling fonds, Accession #3218/188
Reddin-Gaul Welsh House
Showing south east elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2005
55-57 Euston Street

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/12/09

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

55-57 Euston Street is a one-story, wood framed home built before 1833 with Regency style elements. Although it originally faced west on to Spring Park Road, the home has been renovated throughout the years and now faces south on to Euston Street. Alterations to the house have included the addition of shed dormers to the roof; the enclosure of the front verandah to make a porch; and the removal of the original roundel window in the peak. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of 55-57 Euston Street lies in its association with various Charlottetown residents; its surviving Regency style elements; and its role in supporting the Euston Street streetscape.

Although it is unclear when 55-57 Euston Street was built, George Wright’s field notes of 1833 indicate that merchant, Dennis Reddin’s house was located on the exact site. Although altered, the building has retained some of its Regency style influenced characteristics of the 1820-1830 period including the classically based window frame cornice and pilasters of the ground floor and the high pitch of the gable roof.

According to Land Conveyances, in 1852 Dennis Reddin conveyed the property to his son, Dennis O’Meara Reddin and his son in law, Pierce Gaul in trust for his daughter Mary Gaul. Mary’s husband, Pierce Gaul operated a store and was a liquor dealer on the corner of Queen Street and Water Street. The couple lived in the home as early as 1856. By 1861, the Gaul’s moved from the home and it was rented to military officer and Administrator of Prince Edward Island, Ambrose Lane.

Later in 1861, according to the diary of nearby resident, Dr. MacKieson, the home was offered for sale at public auction and it was sold to Charles Welsh for 476 pounds. He would later convey the home to his son, ship merchant, William Welsh. The Welsh Family would live in the home until the early 1900s. William Welsh (1822-1905) was an influential merchant and shipowner in PEI history. He also represented Queen's County as an MP in Parliament as a Liberal at various times from 1876 to 1896.

The home has had many residents throughout its history including J.C. James and Louis J. Reddin, owner of a general dry goods and millinery store on Queen Street. It appears that at some point in its history, the home was renovated and converted into apartments. The City Directory of 1937 lists Mrs. Jane Long in the 55 Euston Street side and Theo C. Bayer, an employee of the Buntain and Bell Company in the 57 Euston Street section.

Originally it was a single family home built in the Regency style. This style incorporated other architectural elements from the British colonies, such as verandahs from India. The home originally had a verandah on the western side where the enclosed porch is now. Other aspects of the Regency style included an elevation of only one to one and one half storeys, a pitched gable roof, and classically based details. Because it has retained some of these details and due to its historical association with former Charlottetown residents, 55-57 Euston Street helps support the Euston Street streetscape.

Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2

Character-Defining Elements

The following character-defining elements illustrate the Regency style heritage value of 55-57 Euston Street:
- The overall massing of the home with its one and one half storeys
- The steep pitch of the gable roof
- The size and placement of the windows particularly the windows of the first floor with classical cornice and pilaster details.
- The original roundel window of the western side which has been replaced by a vent but it is obvious where it once was.
- The size and placement of the doors, including the 55 Euston Street door that leads into the porch with its transom and side lights
- The porch that replaced the original verandah with its large windows and Euston Street entrance
- Although a later addition, the shed dormers
- The style and placement of the chimney



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

City of Charlottetown

Recognition Statute

City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw

Recognition Type

Heritage Resource

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2 #0000p

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places