Former NCC Building
NCC Headquarters, former
Ancien siège social de la CCN
Former National Capital Commission Headquarters
Ancien siège social de la Commission de la capitale nationale
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former NCC Headquarters occupies the width of a city block on a sloping, landscaped site in Ottawa. The long, low, flat-roofed structure and consists of a two-storey section and an adjoining one-storey section. The red brick façade is divided into bays by concrete pilasters, each bay distinguished by large, multi-paned windows. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Former NCC Headquarters is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Former NCC Headquarters is one of the best examples of a building associated with the Federal District Commission, having served as its headquarters and as the headquarters of its successor organization, the National Capital Commission. It is also linked to the NCC’s efforts in the development of Ottawa as a national capital, and to the distinguished French planner Jacques Gréber (1882-1962), who directed preparations for the capital master plan. Gréber unveiled his plan in this building.
The Former NCC Headquarters is valued for its good aesthetics. The stripped-down classicism of the Former NCC Headquarters was the chosen style for many federal buildings constructed in the early 20th century. The underlying classicism is clearly expressed by the concrete pilasters and the simplified cornice and concrete coping. The composition and proportions of the masonry and concrete details are integral to the dignified design. Good functional design is evident in the interior planning of the one-storey structure that has a “cellular” character and a central open area.
The Former NCC Headquarters is compatible with the mixed-use character of its setting that consists of federal, residential and commercial structures. The NCC Building is a familiar local landmark to people working in the vicinity, and to local residents.
Rhona Goodspeed, Former NCC Building, 401 Lebreton Flats, Ottawa, Ontario, Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 96-093; Former NCC Headquarters, 401 Lebreton Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Heritage Character Statement 96-093.
The character-defining elements of the Former NCC Headquarters should be respected.
Its good aesthetics, functional design, and craftsmanship and materials, for example:
-the one and two-storey rectilinear massing of the long, low structure;
-the construction of red brick and concrete, set on a stepped concrete base;
-the division of the facades into bays by pilasters, and the simply detailed masonry, with patterned brickwork at the cornice;
-the concrete windowsills, the moulded cornice of the two-storey structure and the concrete coping of the one-storey section;
-the later additions and rear of the building that also use the pilaster motif, but with wood siding infill;
-the large six-over-six wood sash windows;
-the interior spatial arrangement.
The manner in which the Former NCC Headquarters is compatible with the mixed-use character of its setting that consists of federal, residential and commercial structures, and is a familiar local landmark as evidenced by:
-its design and materials that maintain a visual and physical relationship between the surrounding buildings and the streetscape of Lebreton Street;
-its prominence on the streetscape due to its large scale, and its unique stepped construction rising up the slope of Carling Avenue, that make it a familiar local landmark.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
1937/01/01 to 1937/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection