St. Peter's Anglican Church
37 Walsh Street, Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada
St. Peter's Anglican Church
St. Peter's Anglican Pro-Cathedral
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Peter’s Anglican Church is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying two lots at 37 Walsh Street in the Town of Qu’Appelle. The property features a two-storey brick church constructed in 1885.
The heritage value of St. Peter’s Anglican Church resides in the property's association with the Diocese of Qu’Appelle. In 1885, Regina was the leading contender for the headquarters of the southern Saskatchewan Diocese as it was the seat of government for the North-west Territories and the fastest growing community in the area. Originally, Bishop Anson, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Qu’Appelle, wished to make St. Paul’s in Regina the first Cathedral and the diocesan headquarters. However, the congregation of St. Paul’s objected and the Bishop chose the Town of Qu’Appelle as the headquarters. Built in 1885 and consecrated on June 30, the church became the first Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Qu’Appelle. The interior of St. Peter’s Anglican Church contains the banner of St. Peter, which was embroidered by Roman Catholic Nuns from the south of France, an oak lectern handcrafted in 1886, a Bishop’s chair which was paid for by donations collected in England by a special organization called ‘The Qu’Appelle Association in England’, and a carved oak reredos, which was crafted in Oberammergau Germany. These furnishings were carved and placed in the church to reflect its importance as the Pro-Cathedral church of the Diocese. St. Peter’s remained the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese until 1944, when the title was transferred to St. Paul’s Church in Regina.
The heritage value of this property also lies in its role as a place for social functions, both religious and secular. As one of the oldest and largest places of community gathering in Qu’Appelle, St. Peter’s has hosted numerous weddings, funerals, baptisms, church socials and picnics in its parish hall, which was built in 1905. The property continues to serve the community in this fashion.
Town of Qu’Appelle Bylaw No. 3/82.
The heritage value of the St. Peter’s Anglican Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements of the property that speak to its historic distinction as the first Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Qu’Appelle, including the banner of St. Peter, the oak lectern, the Bishop’s chair, and the carved oak reredos;
-those elements of the property that speak to its role as a place of religious gathering, including the stained glass windows featuring various religious motifs, and crosses on top of the bell tower and the peak of the gabled roof.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1885/01/01 to 1944/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 378
Cross-Reference to Collection