Home / Accueil

St. John's Anglican Cathedral

816 Spadina Crescent East, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2004/10/18

View of the front and side of St. John's Anglican Cathedral highlighting the tall spire, 2006.; Government of Saskatchewan, Bernie Flaman, 2006.
Front and side view of Cathedral
View of the rear and side of St. John's Anglican Cathedral highlighting the exterior of the sanctuary, 2005.; City of Saskatoon, Kathlyn Szalasznyj, 2005.
Side and rear view of Cathedral
Detailing around main entryway of Cathedral, 2005.; City of Saskatoon, Kathlyn Szalasznyj, 2005.
Detailing around main entryway

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1912/01/01 to 1917/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/03/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. John’s Anglican Cathedral is a Municipal Heritage property occupying a .8 hectare parcel of land on the riverbank of downtown Saskatoon. It features a brick cruciform church constructed in 1912-1917. Designation pertains to the exterior of the building.

Heritage Value

Heritage value of St. John’s Anglican Church resides in the Cathedral’s Gothic Revival architecture, popularized as representing the proper blend of artistic and spiritual values for ecclesiastical buildings in the Anglican tradition. Designed by the local architectural firm of Thompson, Daniel and Colthurst, it is modeled on the work of J.S. (William) Crowther of Manchester, and bears a resemblance to St. Benedict Church, Ardwick built in 1880. Its complex massing, 44.2 meter conical tower, fenestrations and diamond-patterned shingling are reflective of the Gothic Revival style, as is its detailing: gargoyles, fruit-and-vine terracotta trim around arched doorways and diamond shingling. Its building materials are both English and western Canadian, a blend of Alberta Redcliff brick, British Columbia timber, Saskatchewan granite fieldstone, fossilized Tyndal Stone, with terracotta and Carrara ware provided by Doulton of Staffordshire. The interior of the Cathedral features a vaulted ceiling, stained glass triad, a Rood Screen and inscribed pillars, and has seen little alteration. A steeple clock planned as part of the original construction was added in 2003 in celebration of the founding of the earliest Anglican parish in the city.

Heritage value also lies in the Cathedral’s long association with the religious history of Saskatoon and its status as a city landmark. Constructed when the pioneer Anglican Church dedicated to St. John the Evangelist no longer could hold its burgeoning congregation, the new church was an important administrative centre, receiving full Cathedral status in 1932 when the Anglican Diocese of Saskatoon was formed. The Cathedral’s prominent location on the edge of the river and its salient spire, the tallest church spire in western Canada, are strong defining elements of Saskatoon’s downtown skyline.


City of Saskatoon Bylaw No. 8352.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. John’s Anglican Cathedral resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that speak to its Gothic Revival architectural style, such as its tower and roof design, its clerestory windows and their tracery, gargoyles, stained glass windows above the altar, ornate exterior doors and pediments, its vaulted ceiling and inscribed pillars;
-those elements that reflect its use as an Anglican place of worship, including its transepts, nave with baptismal fond near the church entrance, its Rood screen of white Carrara ware, its high altar and the Christian symbols throughout the Sanctuary, including the angels and crosses;
-those elements that speak to its ties to the history of Anglican worship in Saskatoon, such as the 1907 tubular chimes from the original St. John’s Church and the decorative use of Saskatchewan lilies and wheat sheaves in the sanctuary;
-those elements that speak to its status as a city landmark, including its orientation on its original lot and its spire.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship


Architect / Designer

Thompson, Daniel and Colthurst



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Saskatoon Community Services Department Development Services Branch 222 - 3rd Avenue North SASKATOON SK S7K 0J5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 2282



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places