Trinity Lutheran Church St. Boswells
St. Boswell's Trinity Lutheran Church
Links and documents
1916/01/01 to 1916/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Trinity Lutheran Church St. Boswells is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of Glen Bain No. 105, 15.3 kilometres north-east of the Hamlet of Glen Bain. The property features a wood-frame country church, distinguished by a tall steeple, constructed in 1916, and a cemetery.
The heritage value of Trinity Lutheran Church St. Boswells lies in its status as a meeting place for the Trinity Church congregation. The congregation formed a mission in 1908 with the arrival of the first settlers, and officially organized in 1910. The site has been continuously used by the congregation as a place of worship since 1912, when a small church was constructed on the property. The German-speaking settlers from the Ukraine, Poland and Germany soon outgrew the original structure, replacing it with the present church in 1916. The cemetery to the east of the church serves as the final resting place for many of these original settlers and subsequent members of the church.
The church is also of heritage value for its Gothic Revival-influenced architecture. Visible for many kilometres, Trinity Lutheran Church St. Boswells is a landmark in the community and among one of the oldest buildings in the municipality. Contributing to its landmark status is its tall steeple with a splayed-base spire and Gothic arch windows. The building's design is characteristic of other churches erected by German-speaking congregations in Saskatchewan during the period.
Rural Municipality of Glen Bain No. 105 Bylaw No. 8/86.
The heritage value of Trinity Lutheran Church St. Boswells resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s status as the meeting place for the Trinity Church congregation, including its location of the church on its original site of construction;
-those elements of the cemetery which reflect its use as a grave yard for the community including its grave markers and formal arrangement of the graves;
-those elements that reflect the property’s Gothic Revival-influenced architecture, including its lofty rectangular plan with polygonal apse and central steeple; square-sided steeple containing a double-door central entry, a round window, belfry (with bell added 1921) and splayed-base spire topped with a cross; a front-gabled roof with cornice returns; Gothic-arched windows and entrance transom; original interior features such as its configuration with entrance vestibule, chancel and lofty nave with a gambrel roof ceiling and balcony.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 977
Cross-Reference to Collection