Home / Accueil

Lily Bay United Church

Coldwell, Manitoba, R0C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1994/12/13

Contextual view, from the southwest, of Lily Bay United Church, Lundar area, 2006; Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 2006
Contextual View
Interior view of Lily Bay United Church, Lundar area, 2006; Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 2006
No Image

Other Name(s)

Lily Bay United Church
Union Church
Église unie

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1906/01/01 to 1906/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/10/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Lily Bay United Church, a small wood-frame structure built in 1906, stands on a quiet tree-protected rural site between Lake Manitoba and Lundar in Manitoba's Interlake region. The municipal designation applies to the church, its cemetery and the grounds they occupy.

Heritage Value

Lily Bay United Church, with its simple materials and form, and modest Gothic Revival appointments, is a good example of the many small wood-frame Protestant churches that dotted the Manitoba landscape in the early 1900s, serving as active community meeting places as well as houses of worship. Built as the Union Church by settlers in the Lily Bay district, this facility was conveniently situated next to the overland Colonization Road that connected the agricultural area east of Lake Manitoba to Winnipeg. Caringly restored after years of neglect and still used for special occasions, the church, with its cemetery, remains an important religious and historical landmark in the community.

Source: Rural Municipality of Coldwell By-law No. 10/94, December 13, 1994

Character-Defining Elements

Key elements that define the heritage character of the Lily Bay United Church site include:
- its location in a landscape of bush and hay and pasture land at the northwest corner of Roads 418 and 419 between Lundar and Lake Manitoba and its proximity to the still visible Colonization Road
- the building's east-west alignment with a small cemetery to its south and west

Key elements that define the church's modest Gothic Revival exterior character include:
- its simple one-storey rectangular form, of wood-frame construction, enclosed by a medium-pitched gable roof, neatly ordered facades and a fieldstone foundation
- the understated window and door openings, including on each side three equally spaced, single-hung sash windows with pointed arched wood surrounds, clear glass and basic Y-tracery, the panelled wood front (east) door, etc.
- the basic materials and finishes, including the painted horizontal board siding and trim, cedar shingles, plain eave returns, light-coloured brick chimney with drip mouldings, etc.

Key internal elements that define the church's heritage character include:
- the largely unaltered space of the open nave with a raised wooden pulpit platform across much of the west end
- the plain finishes and details, including the high truncated plaster ceiling, richly stained wood wainscotting and trim, fir flooring, etc.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (MB)

Recognition Statute

Manitoba Historic Resources Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Site

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

RM of Coldwell PO Box 90 Lundar MB R0C 1Y0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places