Description of Historic Place
29 Fitzroy Street is a wood framed former home that has been converted into a seniors' residence. It features a truncated gable roof, wood shingle cladding, and an enclosed verandah extending across the facade. It is located in an area with a number of heritage homes and an historic church. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 29 Fitzroy Street lies in its association with prominent residents of Charlottetown and its role in supporting the Fitzroy Street streetscape.
Although it is not clear when construction began on 29 Fitzroy Street, it is apparent that it was built for Charles Wright. In his will dated 23 December 1868, Wright gave instructions that the home that was in the midst of being constructed at this location be finished. Wright, who came from a prominent family, was a land agent for Lieutenant Governor Fanning's daughter, Lady Wood.
In approximately 1869, the home was sold for 1200 Pounds to another Islander who came from an important family in Island society- Ralph Brecken Peake. Peake was the son of successful businessman, shipbuilder and banker, James Ellis Peake. His wife, Matilda Haviland Peake was also a member of Charlottetown's elite. Together they lived at 29 Fitzroy Street, which they had named Bellview, until his death in 1875. Bellview was left to Matilda in Ralph's will and seemed to be destined to remain in the family. In 1888, Ralph Peake's sister and her husband, Charles Leigh, a paymaster for the Royal Navy, moved into Bellview and remained there until the early Twentieth Century.
Later owners of 29 Fitzroy Street included Catherine Allan and later, Mrs. Jack Webster. The home was purchased from Webster in 1949 for use as a retirement home for women. The funds to purchase it came from five individuals who left money in their wills for the provision of housing for retired ladies. Two of the benefactors were sisters, Sara and Eva Stamper, whose family sold stationary and books from the south east corner of Richmond and Queen Streets. The women had the impressive Italianate Commercial style Stamper Block constructed on Victoria Row and rented it to a number of businesses. 29 Fitzroy Street was renamed in honor of the generous siblings.
Although the building had been altered throughout the years, 29 Fitzroy Street has a number of important historical associations and helps support the Fitzroy Street streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements contribute to the heritage value of 29 Fitzroy Street:
- The overall rectangular massing of the building
- The truncated gable roof
- The wood shingle cladding
- The mouldings painted in a contrasting colour, including the window and door surrounds, the cornices and the protruding beltcourse
- The size and placement of the windows, including the large sash windows and the bow window
- The size and placement of the doors, particularly the centrally placed door of the facade with its sidelights
- The enclosed verandah running the length of the facade
Other character-defining elements of 29 Fitzroy Street include:
- The location of the building on Fitzroy Street and its physical and visual relationship to its streetscape