Home / Accueil

3225 - 13th Avenue

3225 13th Avenue, Regina, Saskatchewan, S4T, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1990/12/03

View of the front entrance of 3225-13th Avenue, 2006.; Clint Robertson, 2006.
Front elevation
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

3225 - 13th Avenue
Cathedral Court Apartments
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Academy / Convent
Cathedral Court Condominiums

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1910/01/01 to 1924/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/03/15

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

3225 – 13th Avenue is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying one city block located in the City of Regina. Situated at the south-west corner of 13th Avenue and Garnet Street, the property formerly known as Sacred Heart Academy was built in phases between 1910-1925 and is now known as Cathedral Court Condominiums. It is comprised of a 2 ½-storey, red brick structure, and is defined by a mansard roof.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of 3225-13th Avenue, formerly known as Sacred Heart Academy, is associated with its role as an important Catholic educational facility in the City of Regina. Founded in 1905 by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions, the academy moved to this location in 1910 and served as a boarding school for girls until its closure in 1969. The facility expanded twice during this period and became affiliated with the University of Saskatchewan in 1924. From 1924 until the 1926 opening of Sacred Heart College on Albert Street, Sacred Heart Academy was able to offer second-year, university arts classes in addition to the kindergarten to grade twelve instruction that it already provided. In addition to classrooms and dormitories for the Sisters and students, the academy featured music rooms, art rooms, chapel and a gymnasium which allowed for year round physical education. Though elementary school instruction was discontinued in the 1930s, Sacred Heart Academy remained a prominent source of secondary level education until its closure.

The heritage value of 3225-13th Avenue is also associated with its architecture. Characteristic of institutional buildings in western Canada affiliated with the Catholic Church, the design of Sacred Heart Academy is dominated by a mansard roof, and displays Classically inspired detailing. Built in three sections that date from 1910, 1914 and 1924, the structure is united by the continuity of the slate mansard roof, similar materials, and the Classical detailing. Part of the 1914 extension contains the building’s front entrance which is marked by a portico with classical supports. The highlight of the 1924 addition, designed by J.H Puntin, remains the chapel with its Georgian-style interior incorporating a coffered, barrel vaulted ceiling, curved balustrades and period stained glass windows imported from France. Enclosed porches with panel detailing terminate the east end of the original building, and the structure’s west end. The property’s broad front lawn, mature landscaping and wrought iron fence create an attractive setting for the former academy.

City of Regina Bylaw No. 9110

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of 3225-13th Avenue resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that recall the property’s historic use as a Catholic academic institution, such as the cross that tops the buildings frontispiece; the chapel with Georgian style interior, plaster barrel vaulted and coffered ceiling, curved balustrades and choir loft;
-those elements which contribute to its architectural significance, including its 2 ½-storey, ‘L’ shape plan; slate mansard roof with gable roof dormer windows; red brick exterior with rough-dressed sandstone and Tyndall Stone sills and lintels and detailing; Classical-inspired detailing, such as the sheet metal, block modillion cornice, and pedimented frontispiece, Tuscan columned portico, and a Doric frieze with triglyph ornament; stained glass chapel windows framed within a Palladian style arrangement; enclosed end porches with panelled detailing; front entrance with wooden double doors, single-pane glazing and a multi-pane transom light;
-landscape elements such as broad front lawn with mature plantings and wrought iron fence.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Institution

Architect / Designer

J. H Putin


Smith Brothers & Wilson

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 2029

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1367



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places