Links and documents
1906/01/01 to 1907/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. George Romanian Orthodox Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located on two lots at 201 McKendre Street in the Village of Dysart. The property features a one-story wood-frame church with prominent spire and cast-iron cross, which was built in 1906.
The heritage value of St. George Romanian Orthodox Church resides in its status as a cultural landmark. Dysart and area is one of the oldest Romanian Orthodox communities in Saskatchewan. On February 13, 1906, the early pioneers, mostly from Bucovina and Dobruja areas of Romania, met to plan for construction of their own church. Designed and supervised by contractor Lache Jonescu, construction was started later that year. The church was blessed on June 7, 1907 by Archimandrite Evghenie Ungureanu. It has been an important gathering place for the community during the past century and continues in use as a place of worship.
Heritage value also resides in its architectural style, which contributes to the property’s status as a landmark in the community. The property features elements of the Gothic Revival style, such as the prominent central bell tower with bell-shaped spire and stylized cast-iron trefoil Botonee Cross, pointed-arch windows, and barrel-vault nave. The original church was extended and the unusual semi-circular transepts added in 1945, creating the familiar Eastern Orthodox cruciform plan. The transepts exhibit Palladian-style windows. Smaller spires grace the roof of the transepts and sanctuary, each of which is surmounted by a stylized cast-iron trefoil Botonee Cross projecting from a cast-iron ball. Today, the church stands as one of the oldest remaining buildings in Dysart.
Heritage value also resides in the interior elements that reflect the Eastern Orthodox faith, such as the east-end sanctuary which is separated from the nave by an iconostas with the traditional round-arched central Royal double-door and side Deacons’ doors, and the choir loft above the narthex.
Village of Dysart Bylaw No. 4/87.
The heritage value of St. George Romanian Orthodox Church lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that contribute to its status as a landmark in the community, including its position on its original location and Gothic Revival characteristics, such as the prominent central entrance bell tower with bell-shaped spire and cast-iron trefoil Botonee Cross, cruciform layout, pointed-arch windows, and barrel-vault nave; other significant features of the property include the semi-circular transepts with Palladian windows, semi-circular sanctuary, and stylized cast-iron trefoil Botonee Crosses surmounted on three smaller spires;
-elements that reflect the Eastern Orthodox faith, such as the east-end sanctuary which is separated from the nave by an iconostas with the traditional round-arched central Royal double-door and side Deacons’ doors, and the choir loft above the narthex.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Eracliu (Lache) Jonescu
Eracliu (Lache) Jonescu
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 881
Cross-Reference to Collection