Home / Accueil

Coyle House

24 Dock Street, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, B0T, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1988/01/11

Dock Street streetscape, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
Dock Street streetscape
Front elevation, Coyle House, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007.
; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
Front elevation, Coyle House
Stone rubble foundation, Coyle House, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007.
; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
Stone rubble foundation, Coyle House

Other Name(s)

Coyle-Hipson House
Coyle House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/06/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Coyle House is located on the south-west corner of Dock Street and Charlotte Lane, in Shelburne, Nova Scotia. This two-and-a-half storey, New England Colonial style house, set on a stone rubble foundation, was built around 1785. The building and property are included in the municipal designation.

Heritage Value

The Coyle House is valued for its historical association with local merchant, Patrick Coyle, for its architecture, and for its contribution to the streetscape along Shelburne’s historic Dock Street.

The Coyle House was built around 1785 by Patrick Coyle who owned the house until 1819. Coyle was a local merchant and possibly did some of his business from this location. In 1819, the house was purchased by Thomas and Agnes (Muir) Johnson. Agnes was the daughter of John Muir of New York, who came to Shelburne in 1783.

This New England Colonial style, wood frame building is set on a stone rubble foundation, rather than the usual granite blocks so commonly seen in this part of Shelburne. The rubble foundation of this house is one of two such foundations known to remain in the town. The house was originally a one-and-a-half storey structure but a second storey was added around 1898. Other than the second storey addition, there have been little alterations done to the Coyle House.

The Coyle House is located on a pleasant lot on the corner of Charlotte Lane and Dock Street, and forms part of the Shelburne Museum complex. Coyle House presently houses the Shelburne Historical Society and Tottie's Crafts, a local craft shop.

Source: Town of Shelburne, Heritage file no. 16, Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of the Coyle House include:

- two-and-a-half storey, wood frame structure;
- stone rubble foundation;
- steeply pitched gable roof;
- asymmetrical two bay front façade;
- small cornerboards;
- seven six-over-six windows and three twelve-over-eight windows;
- prominent location on Dock Street.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1988/01/11

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building
Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of Shelburne Office, Water Street, P.O. Box 670, Shelburne, NS, B0T 1W0.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

51MNS0016

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places